1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there an alternative to Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by exactrans, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exactrans

exactrans Thread Starter

I am a former IBM programmer, coder, worked with Assembler, Cobal, SAS, Basic....MVS Mainframes ...and with Windows XP...all my systems are now what you call "legacy" systems....I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS WINDOWS 8....PLEASE TELL ME THAT MY XP PLATFORM...WILL NOT EVER GO AWAY.. I hate these tiles...I do not give a damn about pictures and music...and am an application programmer (not an APP) programmer...This cloud concept is really scary...it is in fact manipulation and control at a higher level...I know I am still in the 80-90's but I do not want to deal with these tiles and push buttons..I am not and END USER....(do I really need to hoard all the windows xp refurbished computers????) ...Is there any other alternative...i.e...like turning off the multi-layered user interface of windows 8 by a button of some type and let me get back to the navigation and manipulation that I know??? Do I need to learn Linux System...

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Read through Taming the Windows 8 DESKTOP GUI and install a third party Start Menu or configure it along the lines of how I have mine set up.

Rather than hoard XP systems I would find and hoard Windows 7 systems (there should still be some new ones available). Yes, you'll complain that Windows 7 is different from XP, but once you get used to it you'll see that most (not all!) the differences are for the better.

I think that there are few if any desktop or laptop users who are totally happy with Windows 8. But Vista was less than a rousing success and was followed by Windows 7, which is liked by all but a few XP die-hards. I'm hoping Vista II will be followed by another version in the XP/7 branch. :)

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Strange. As a programmer, I don't really see a large difference between Windows 7 or 8 (or XP for that matter). I used all three the same way. Most of the IDEs I use, I start from the taskbar. I almost never see the Modern interface unless I am rebooting. Typically, I will run an app in a quarter of the screen while I am doing something on the desktop.

To this day, I am surprised at the number of folks that "hate" Windows 8 for no real reason.

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Please don't think of that as a chore or a second best :) I'm really enjoying my adventures/learning in Linux. Currently using Crunchbang: http://crunchbang.org/ and Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features

So maybe put Linux on an old machine and tackle Windows 8 on a new machine as well? :D Double the fun that way!!

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If one has a laptop or desktop running the real copy of Windows 8, then the use of a third party to always get you to the "Computer desktop" is where you need to go. As stated by some one else, I also see NO difference between Windows 7 and * when using a ClassicShell" add in.

If you are using a tablet, or other device using the RT version of Windows 8, then you are stuck with that interface.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Dave, did you mean Windows RT or Windows 8 RT (I don't know which is the preferred term)?

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice