Is There An Issue With IrfanView 4.59?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've been using Irfanview 4.58 (And Plug-ins) as the default app for my images in Windows 7 and Windows 10.
Version 4.59 was released today, so I decided to update it.
The install appeared to go normal.
I checked afterwards to make sure my images were still associated with IrfanView and would load with my images.
I was surprised to see a different app set as default with my images.
When I tried to change it to IrfanView, it was absent from the "Open with" list.
I went into Irfanview's folder and attempted to change it there, but that failed.
I uninstalled it, restarted the computer, then re-installed it, but the same problem still existed.
After I reverted back to version 4.58, everything worked fine and returned to normal.

Has anyone else here had the same problem?

------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Frank I just installed 4.59 and plugins on my test system. All seems normal; jpeg files open with irfanview. The test system runs win 11.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Frank - At the 2nd window during the install of 4.59 this is near the top

"INFO : on Win10, you must use: System settings, Apps, Set default apps ! (after installation)"

Could that be the problem ?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Allan:

All of my full-time PC's dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10.
I usually do updates in Windows 7 first before I switch to Windows 10.

I had the issue after doing the update in Windows 7.
I didn't try to update it in Windows 10 because I assumed the same issue would occur.

I'm on Windows 7 right now, so I'll do the update tomorrow morning in Windows 10 and then see what happens.
Thanks for the "heads up" about what to do after the update is done.

--------------------------------------------------

jvic

John
Just updated to 4.59 on Windows 10. All is working fine and didn't have to use System settings, Apps, Set default apps ! (after installation)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
John:

I did the IrfanView 4.59 update this morning in Windows 7 and 10 in my Dell Precision 3620 tower.
I didn't need to take any different steps, and it seems to be working fine.

I'm going to try it again later in one of my Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitowers and see what happens.

-------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online