1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there any difference between a desktop LCD and Laptop LCD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

just wondering. I dont know if its me , but do laptop LCDs seem less colourful than desktop LCDs

2. THFS

THFS

I'm nearly positive it's the same, but the laptop LCD isn't as colourful because it is conserving power. Having it run at full power drains the battery like you wouldn't believe.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Agreed. The backlight is likely to be lower power.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, my desktop LCD is bigger than my laptop one. :D

Seriously, I think the big difference is indeed in the backlight, my desktop ones are very bright, but the laptop ones are more subdued.

5. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

intresting - didnt know that! thanks

i think i adjusted my levels pretty good. id say its pretty bright, but not too pearly white.

6. knix

knix

I was wondering the same thing, I have been doing some shopping on ebay, and one seller said that it was easy to convert a laptop lcd to use on your desktop pc. Has anyone ever done that, and can we see pictures, pretty please, with lots of details :) we like details

thanks, Knix

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It is not "easy"

In fact it's "almost impossible" to do it economically.

The laptop LCD relies on a custop designed driver chipset embedded in the laptop system. It does not use normal VGA or DVI usually.

8. Arcadion

Arcadion

Laptop LCDs tend to support much higher resolutions than desktop ones - I've seen 15" laptop screens that run at 1600x1200, to get that out of a desktop LCD you have to get a 21". I suspect that the tradeoff for the higher resolution is a less colourful screen with a poorer viewing angle, since both of those are more important with a desktop screen than a laptop.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice