Is there any hope of recovering old iPod touch data?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alexm33

Before someone thinks to get this post deleted, I have checked everything in the pinned post about forgotten passcodes/disabled devices - it's unfortunately not relevant as all the methods listed (and others I've found + tried) are genuinely impossible here from what I can tell.

I have an old iPod touch, generation 5 as far as I can tell, that I'd like to restore the data from (photos + notes mainly, though ideally I'd get everything). I hadn't made any attempt to use this device since around 2014-2015 I think, as the screen shattered in a way that made the headphone jack unusable. Today I found that I still have a charger that fits so I gave it a go and it switched on, so I'd really like to get my old data back, as there's a lot on there.

I've forgotten the passcode, of course. Tried absolutely everything I can think of but no luck. And I can't back up my data/go into recovery mode via iTunes because you need to confirm that on the iPod itself, which I can't do without the passcode. I did try a couple of third party recovery programs but absolutely nothing happened when I tried the steps on those.

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I just want to know if there's any possibility of backing up the data without being able to unlock the iPod. Don't be nasty about it, I'm having a real hard time actually reading any of the guides on how to do this kind of thing since I'm autistic and it's a lot of long paragraphs of info I don't fully understand.

If it affects anything (like what potential recovery programs I could use) I'm using Windows 10.0.19043 Build 19043 on my laptop. Don't have access to any other Apple devices.

Couriant

James
I haven't used iTunes in such a long time and I do use Apple products but I am not familiar with the iPod Touch. Last I knew you should be able connect the device with the same apple account in iTunes and get the data that way.

If you have an iPhone and it's the same apple account, then perhaps the passcode is the same?

TerryNet

Terry
Along the same lines as James, I think that if you know the Apple account (Apple ID) and its password you may be able to connect to your PC and use iTunes. The iPod Touch is same as the iPhone without the phone or cellular capability.

Couriant

James
when I connect my iphone, on the screen it would ask if I would allow the computer to connect the data... Is your screen too beat up to see that?

Drabdr

Brad
Are you sure you had a password on the IPad-keypad and you have to touch numbers? Of course Itunes account requires it, but maybe not the Ipad?

Trying connecting to a PC and see if you can access the Ipad as an added drive to the computer. Like James says, you'll still most likely need to acknowledge the connection, but you're not necessarily "locked out" of the Ipad.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online