1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there any sort of file manager similar to Gmail's "labels"

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by The111, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The111

The111 Thread Starter

Gmail has a brilliant system of organizing emails called labels. A file can only belong to one traditional "folder" at a time, but in Gmail, a message can have several labels, effectively occupying multiple folderspaces.

Is there ANY sort of file management built into any O/S (or available as a 3rd party file manager) which can do this? It does not seem that difficult, but nobody seems to be doing it. I heard Vista would have it, but it doesn't appear to. It has "tags" which are a similar concept, but they alter the actual file properties (rather than just filing them), and they only work on certain file types. I heard OSX has it, but I don't know anything about Macs (though if it was part of OSX, I'd go find myself a copy of OSx86).

I have a large folder with 2000 subfolders, and a grouping of 600 of those folders are important to me in a certain way... I want to have those 600 available without removing them (or copying them) from the "main" 2000-folder directory. I can think of no other way to do this...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!