Is there any way of getting rid of IE?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chuck911

My IE doesn't work (http 500 error). I downloaded
mozilla firefox and I like it a lot. I uninstalled IE via the add/delete programs but can't seem to get rid of it. When I log on the the internet, I still get IE. I tried making firefox my default browzer but that doesn't work either. It's kind of a pain to have to close IE and load firefox each time I log on. Any ideas? Thx!

Chuck

First off, you can't uninstall IE (not without using programs like 98lite/XPlite). Even if it could be done, it's ill-advisable since many applications depend on the IE HTML rendering engine to function properly...

I don't quite understand your question... You mentioned, "...when I logon to the internet..." What exactly do you mean? IE launches itself everytime a connection is made or ??

Also, have you unchecked Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser in Internet Options >> Programs [tab]?

You can install Win98 without installing an IE browser - then you can install any other browser...if you have it on a CD.

chuck911

Instead of saying "when I log on to the internet", I should have said "when I sign on to my ISP." I have a dial up connection so when I get my "homepage," my browzer is always IE - no matter what. And as I mentioned, it does not work. IE that is.

And yes, I did the Internet options >>programs thing. IE should check to see whether it is the default browser
is "unchecked." Is there anything else I could try? Thx!

Chuck

Well,uninstalling IE in + - programs may have removed some components of it-reinstall
all of it as no matter how much you like Firefox,IE is an integral part of Windows &
Firefox won't display properlysome pages,which is when you'll need IE.Mozilla will be
the homepage if Fox is completely installed;try uninstalling then reinstall Firefox.Use
the Fox shortcut/icon to access the web,the dial up will happen first anyway.During
reinstall Fox will 'ask' if it is to be the default,tick Yes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online