1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there any way to recover corrupted data from an iPod?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Daskill, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daskill

Daskill Thread Starter

Okay, here's the deal, my iPod was plugged into my computer, my computer decided to have a laugh and crash on me. It restarted itself and while the computer was starting up, the "Do Not Connect" message disappeared from my iPod and the regular menu appeared, and (perhaps stupidly) I disconnected my iPod from the computer.

Now when I turn on the iPod, I cannot access any of my songs or anything, it is as if the iPod is blank, however there has been no change in hard disk space, so it's all still there in some form, however I can no longer access the iPod through iTunes.

When I plug it in, Windows asks me if I want to scan and fix it, when I click ok, it goes through a long process of checking and then freezes when the progress bar is nearly at the end.

I all hope lost? What should I do?

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look in Disk Management and see what it says about the drive. What format is it in?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

Do you need to recover the files, or do you have copies?

If all else fails, you can remove the partition(s) from the drive, create a new one, and reformat it with Free Paragon Hard Drive Manager 8.0 Special Edition.

4. Daskill

Daskill Thread Starter

When I right click the iPod icon, the Computer window freezes.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Then don't right-click the icon. Look in Disk Management.

6. Daskill

Daskill Thread Starter

About the iPod it says:

Layout - Simple
    Type - Basic
    File System - FAT 32
    Status - Healthy (Primary Partition)

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    A freeware program called YamiPod helped me to recover all of the music files from my daughter's crashed iPod a few years ago.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Then if you don't need the data on it, try removing the partition, creating a new one, and formatting it FAT32.

If you can't remove the partition, try just formatting. If that doesn't work, try the Paragon tool.

9. Daskill

Daskill Thread Starter

I haven't really got any problems when it comes to wiping it, i just want to recover my data.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715113