1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there ANYWAY I can fix this?! (Headphone Jack problem)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axeman61, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I don't know how it happened, but the headphone jack on my dell computer got ****** up. I probably kicked it or something, I don't know. All I do know is that it'll now only play audio out of the left channel. I can try to jingle it around to play out of both, but the second I take my hand off, it's lefty again.
    Please, can someone help? This was one of my main gripes with the old crappy computer I had and this one is too new to be going through this crap all over again.

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

took the liberty to edit your post....lol :p

sounds like a loose wire. if you are not comfortable working on the inside. take it to someplace that does computer repair and have them look.

3. abbyk

abbyk

Hi

Sounds like the socket is physically damaged. You could try a DIY repair, but I don't fancy your chances.

Cheapest/easiest solution, buy a new soundcard (from a few bucks), uninstall or disable current(broken) soundcard, & install the new.

Well, maybe that's kinda obvious & not what you wanted to hear, but there you go - good luck :)

abbyk

4. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I'd have to get a whole different card just because the headphone jack is messed up? No, that's not happening. Give me a link on DIY repair.
    Plus, from just the looks of the sound jack arrangements on this Dell, you can tell it's custom made or something.

5. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

Okay, I've 'fixed' it by putting the headphones in the jack where the speakers would be. It's the same level of sound I had before, with a far decreased probability of ******* up the jack this time. Should I still try to get the front fixed though? I might end up needing it for something considering my luck.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

axeman61, do you suppose you could lose the profanity at the door. You're overworking our message filter. :rolleyes:

We're a family forum here, thanks for your help in keeping it that way. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice