1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there folder security for LInux?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by matrim, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

This may need to go in LInux forum.
    I am looking for a free program that just password protects folders in Linux. I know about permissions and so forth, but I need this as well. Anyone know of anything? There are quite a few for Windows but I am having a hard time finding some for Linux

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I'll move your post as I don't know of any one in the Security Forum using Linux.

3. coolpcguy

coolpcguy

I'm not aware of any program that password protects folders, but you wouldn't need that either. As long as you store all your files in your home directory, and assuming others access the comp using a different login, they won't be able to access or open the files stored in your home directory, provided the permissions are set right. If others access your comp using your login, I suggest you create a separate "guest" login for them

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Yeah. We call 'em directories in Unix/Linux, not folders. And if you restrict the permissions on a directory, the only way another user can access it is through the su or sudo commands.

5. vtel57

vtel57

If permissions aren't enough for you, you can try GNUPGP encryption. There are a few GUI frontends for this app. I use Gnome Seahorse. I believe you can encrypt entire directories with it also.

Luck!

6. coolpcguy

coolpcguy

@vtel7.. hmm wonder why that didn't come to my mind.. I use KGpg..

7. vtel57

vtel57

Yup. Same thing... different frontend. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!