1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there internet access without the Monopolies?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Exumab, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Exumab

Exumab Thread Starter

I'm paying $56 a month for basic cable internet service with Time Warner. They keep increasing their price.
    Attempts to find another option limits me to those in my area Verizon, At&T both of which require that you have "Their" telephone service as well. I get my television programing via the regular public cable tv which is free and fine with me.
    My question is this. Is there any way that one can obtain less expensive high speed cable internet service via an "Independent" Source or setup? Or am I a captive of the Monopolies that are listed on the internet as those available to me and in complete control of my area? Obviously under the present arrangement, they can get together and jointly control the price of internet service as you are forced to choose only between them. I would appreciate any response. Many Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since most people don't get free cable TV you might not get much sympathy here. :) I'd be quite happy to cut my TV/Internet service bill in half to $56.

You listed three available, so that doesn't quite meet the definition of monopoly. Have you checked with Verizon or AT&T to see if they also offer (they won't advertize it) "dry" or "naked" DSL (which is DSL internet w/o phone service)?

You probably can also get satellite service, but I don't know if it will be much less and it certainly will be of lower quality than cable.

3. hewee

hewee

You say you get "free cable TV" so am guessing your in a Apartment or some place that gives this to everyone.
    So if this is true then you should tell them you already have the TV. They must also have something with phone also.

http://www22.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/high-speed-internet-plans/

http://www.att.com/dsl/

http://www.att.com/u-verse/shop/index.jsp?shopFilterId=500001

Looks like you can get internet only.

Now if Monopolies mean those listed then yes you may have internet from local places in your town but you may pay more and you have to search more to find them. Then they may not be for Home user.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Define High Speed. If you are not doing much online they have a 1MB plan that should be about $20 if that. The site doesn't allow me to check because I need a zipcode. Sounds like you are on the Turbo plan (20MB down). Consider dropping to the 15MB or 3MB. You won't find 20MB down any cheaper... and if you do they are lying/have stiff stipulations :)

5. Exumab

Exumab Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded to my question! Your responses are very helpful!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Let us know when/if you find something better.

7. hewee

hewee

Good luck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice