1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there no "Line In" recording option for my laptop w/ Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mybest2U, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mybest2U

mybest2U Thread Starter

First off, I'm wondering if this is an issue related solely to my laptop, or if it might just be a Vista issue; I have a Toshiba P305D-S8995E laptop, and when I right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and select "recording devices", it only shows "Microphone" as an available option. I would like to have the option to record whatever audio is passing through the soundcard similar to the way I do it on my Win XP computers, therefore I assume I'm looking for some sort of "Line In" recording option. So is not having a "line in" option an issue with my laptop's soundcard, or is this a Vista issue? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. joeten

joeten

hi try control panel there may be something in sound or under under the sound drivers name ie *******hd audio manager

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

The P305D does not have a Line-In. The two connections in the front are microphone and headphones.

Courtney

4. mybest2U

mybest2U Thread Starter

What I mean is the Line-In like in Windows XP which allows you to record whatever sound is passing through the soundcard, not necessarily some externally connected sound source. In other words, it is a sort of "loopback" mode. Does the P305D have the capability to record the sound going through the soundcard?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Line In recording option will not show .. If your Laptop does not have a Line In connection.
    In the situation .. You'll have to use the Mic in.

You might be able to record what your computer is playing by choosing Stereo Mix ..
    But this depends on your sound Device and Drivers... and what program are you trying to record with ???

6. mybest2U

mybest2U Thread Starter

I have no "Stereo Mix" option under recording devices, and I would like to use Audacity to do the recording.

7. joeten

joeten

hi easiest thing to do is try it

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Look in Audacity >> Preferences ....
    Version 1.2.6 or 1.3.7 have different recording options.
    You can have both installed.

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice