1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there Realy a Problem with running Real Player?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Cousin49, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cousin49

Cousin49 Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if there is really, really a problem with running Real Player? I am a novice at using the Net , but have heard it can muck your computer up - and tries to connect you to the Web when you are not on it.

I am really interested in listening to Audio material from programmes on the BBC - being a bit traditional. I am worried that if I download Real Player - which appeals to me as its for free - it will jam up my computer.

Also would my PC specifications be up to the job - given that I don't really mind if it can't play video clips. I am running on a Pentium 11 333 processor, using Windows 98; 64Mb Ram; 3.2Gb HDD; with 4Mb Graphics Chip and 56k V92 modem. I have noted that when dissengaging from the Net the Information 'window' shows the time I have been on the Net and also the speed of the connexion - which is given as 28.800bps. I have been reading up a bit on this, and understand that this is 'bits per second' - though I can't see why the Modem Speed is given in terms of Bytes; at 56k. Anyway, would these specifications do the job? Please bare in mind that I am have limited funds, hence I am quite pleased with the ability of my equipment to give me access to the Internet in any way! And I have only been using the Web for a few months - via Dial Up - through Freedom2Surf ISP.

As a thought, would using something like Winamp software to access audio material conflict, if I had Real Player installed as well? I am thinking that I could access mp3 files and Web Radio (other than the Beeb) - and that something like Real Player would do the lot?

Thank you for your time,

Cousin49.

2. southernlady

southernlady

ReaL Player Basic is shareware and has stuff bundled with it that you do NOT want. Stay with Media Player or go here and see if one of these suit your needs:

http://www.nonags.com/mirrors.html ( counted TWENTY-EIGHT MP3 players here and none of them have spyware) The site guarantees it. Liz

3. joehandy

joehandy

i just recently subscribed to real...i've used the free version for years and have had no problems whatsoever...you can try the superpass out for free for 14 days...try it out...you'll like it...LOTS...
    but, of course, there will be those that will say real is the spawn of Satan...just go and find out for yourself!

4. KrashedKris

KrashedKris

FWIW I can tell you that my brief experience of RealPlayer shareware was that it would try and connect to the net constantly whether I was actually using it or not. :eek:

I was not amused! :mad: :D

Therefore I uninstalled it fairly promptly and lived happily ever after :)

5. johnni

johnni

Real Player seems to vary according to where you download it from. I suggest you get it from the BBC site here. I never find it trying to access the internet, apart from when you first install it, but I do find it hangs sometimes when I double-click on a file I know it can play, but if I open Real and then File, Open and browse to where the file I want is located then it plays it OK. (If it hangs close it with Ctrl+Alt+Del).
    So, no real problems but essential for listening to BBC radio online.

johnni

6. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I’ve been using Real for years and the version I’m using now is Real 1 V2 Gold. Your concerns have been around since day one and are NOT well founded. If you do the custom install of Real and de-select every radio button you find then Real will install and be as docile as lamb. The main problem is letting Real install itself and therefore it associates itself with everything on your computer. It gives the impression of hijacking your computer by conflicting with any other similar programs. It is not spyware in the typical sense (a lengthy battle with Grisoft proved this) but does phones home looking for updates – all of this can be turned off in preferences if you did not do the custom install up front. There are many free plugins for Real and there is one that upgrades the music burning portion that is fantastic. I like Real and believe that the problem (the bad press associated with Real) is not the software but the person sitting behind the computer.

7. KrashedKris

KrashedKris

OK so anyone who doesn't like Real is computer illiterate ? :eek:

Why does a media player need to phone home constantly looking for "updates"? How often does a media player really need updating?
    That in itself is completely suspect as far as many security-aware users are concerned - a good enough reason to have nothing to do with it.

8. joehandy

joehandy

OK so anyone who doesn't like Real is computer illiterate ?

that's the mindset of alot of people around these boards...i'm not sure why, i've NEVER had one problem with them...god knows i'm no expert when it comes to pc's (this is my first)...but, i'm not totally computer ignorant either...

9. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Real player codecs are needed to play alot of stuff that are in the real format but you don't need the official player and it's incessant nagging to upgrade(that goes ditto for quicktime),just get the totally free real alternative player, and if your really feeling rebellious the quicktime alternative player. Just google it and check out the buzz and you'll find plenty of links to download either one.

10. Deathblow

Deathblow

Some people swear by realplayer, I mainly just swear at it.

11. RandyG

RandyG

I've used Real for years, and after turning off the options for contacting home, have never had problems with it.

The main problem that people had with Real was that it was able to determine your usage through a combination of cookies and phoning home, but when you disallow that component to check with home, you are safe.

I have to say, I prefer Windows Media Player, but there are too many sites that do not have a Media Player option, and only use Real.

and, BTW . . . folks, I do not believe couchmaster was trying to imply anything about the skills of the person using the computer who has a problem with Real, but rather stating that the problem with Real is the perceived problems the Users have heard about, or experienced. Please try to keep in mind that very few people on this board try to intentionally denigrate other users, and those that do, are a lot more forthright and outspoken about it then the potentially misleading phrase that couchmaster used.

take care,

Randy;):D(y)

12. Cousin49

Cousin49 Thread Starter

Thanks ALL you people for your detailed replies - there still seems to be some controversy surrounding the Official version. I suppose, as 'Couchmaster' and others have suggested, it is really a matter of using the software and setting it up to run as you want it to.

As I am running things on a shoestring (must be lots of people doing that) I was encouraged by the information on Free or Alternative software - 'southernlady' has suggested a couple of options (www.nonags.com/mirrors.html - sounds interesting) and a Google search, as suggested by 'Maritimesea' seems the to be the solution. Interesting to note that the alternative version is called Real Alternative.

Any way, a friend of mine did a search and came up with this site:> http://www.softlandmark.com/videoplayers.html<

So I'll have a go at downloading and installing at the weekend - and see how it goes.

Thanks All,

Cousin49.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice