Is this 8gb of ram or 16gb?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CF128

Hi. I just bought a second-hand computer today. Anyway I was under the impression it had 16gb of ram. I found out in the control panel it says the computer has 8gb of ram.

Here's the ad: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/paddington/desktops/full-spec-gaming-computer/1012071080

He said:
"2 x 8gb G.SkillDDR3-2133 RAM"

Am I wrong in assuming that means 16 total? Or does that somehow mean 8gb total?

I wanna know to decide whether i have a right to complain/ return it, or whether there was no false advertising on his part.

Triple6

Rob
2 x 8 GB is definitely 16GB total.

Maybe it came loose during transport, have you checked to see what's physically installed inside the computer?

CF128

That's what I thought.

And I haven't given it a good look inside yet but I can see that there's two sticks.

Would it say how many gb on the actual stick?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps the seller was mistaken and meant to put: 2 sticks - 8GB (meaning, 8GB total rather than 8GB + 8GB).

Yeah, definitely. Give him a ring or an email and ask him whether he knows what the problem could be. If it is definitely 16GB of RAM, then perhaps one of the RAM sticks has gone faulty if the PC is only recognizing 8GB of RAM.

CF128

Yeah, definitely. Give him a ring or an email and ask him whether he knows what the problem could be. If it is definitely 16GB of RAM, then perhaps one of the RAM sticks has gone faulty if the PC is only recognizing 8GB of RAM.
I never thought of that.
Here are the memory module specs for the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard - which has 4 slots and supports up to 32 GB of RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/ASUS-memory/ASUS+Motherboards/P8Z68+DELUXE-upgrades.html

I'm guessing that "DDR3-2133" is a typo and that it actually has DDR3 PC3-10600(DDR3-1333) modules.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah. I'm pretty sure he didn't do it intentionally.

CF128

Another question (maybe this should be another thread?)..
Can I put in another 2 x 4gb sticks of ram, of a completely different brand? Or does it need to be g skill ram like is already in there?

CF128

Alright. What the hell........
I just checked control panel again. Now it says I have 4gb of ram!!

What the hell's going on. Did I buy a dying computer today??

I can't even figure that out. Because there's only 2 sticks in there.

Maybe I'll restart my computer and see if anything's changed.

Triple6

Rob
Check what the BIOS reports for the amount of memory and check what the sticks actually say on them; may even be worth re-seating(remove and reinstall) the RAM.

You might want to get a more comprehensive look at your configuration with PC Wizard system info tool. I've attached a screenshot set to Motherboard in the left pane and Physical Memory in the right pane.

Attachments

CF128

That program says I've got 1 x 4096 mb of memory.

Sounds like there was only ever 8 gb in there. And now one of them has screwed up.

Triple6

Rob
So have you opened it up, checked and reseated the memory yet?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online