Is this a good build?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

planeace222

Hi!

I am planning to build a SFF (small for factor) mini desktop that I can fit in a small area. I am planning on keeping it for college as well, so I need some room for upgrades, yet still small enough to fit in a dorm desk with a small monitor. I wont do much traveling with it, it would be nice to fit it in a small suitcase though with a small screen (unfortunately, I don't even think there is such thing as a portable screen).

I built this on pcpartpicker.com

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/planeace222/saved/#view=JNr48d

It is pretty small, and my goal is to keep the price below 800, and near 750. Specs for me, IMO, are pretty decent. I can run practically any application, and play games around medium settings, maybe even high or ultra on some, and the MOBO allows the GPU to be upgraded. Later, I may ungrade to an FX-8350, since I am not planning to overclock the 6300 much, and it has pretty good stock performance from what I have heard.

I am trying to stay away from Intel. Not that the brand is bad, but its WAY over my budget. I think I will stay with AMD on this one for the sake of my budget, and that I get a lot of multi-core performance and overclocking abilities for what I am paying.

I am also wondering what types of fans I can fit on this case I have for this build. Havent had much time to research about it. I am not interested in liquid cooling, again for budgeting, but may consider later if I upgrade or start overclocking massively.

If you have any suggestions for this build, I would greatly appreciate it. Please remember that this is an SFF PC, and that I am not really into Intel processors for this project due to my budget.

Thanks!

dustyjay

Jay
I see a few things of concern, The power supply you have chosen is for a very basic build and won't be up to the power reguirements of your chosen processor and Video Card selection. the CX (Builder Series) power supplies are basically designed basic office apps, web surfing, media viewing. Not up to the task of gaming. Corsair is a fine company but you would need something in the 650 to 700 watt range, in the AX, TX, HX models.

Next is your choice of case, you would need to make sure there is room for your CPU Cooler.

The motherboard is a very budget board and also may not be up to gaming.

planeace222

Thx for the reply. I will probably look for a better board. I read some reviews and they have said the same thing. Do you have an suggestions concerning micro atx motherboards and cases?

dustyjay

Jay
I have not had any luck finding any 970 chipset mATX motherboards by the manufacturers that I would recommend. (Gigabyte or Asus)

dustyjay

Jay
if you need a mATX motherboard, and you do not plan intense hardcore gaming, the Motherboard you have selected may be fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online