1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this a good computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rufusta2, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I am buying this from my ISP and I want to know if it is a good computer and a good price.
    Pentium 3 667+MHZ CPU, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, CD burner/player 40x+, 56K modem, optical laser mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.
    Lifetime labor warranty as long as I remain a customer.
    Will be paying under $320 for it and can add various upgrades to it for additional prices.

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

P3 computers were generally decent for their day, but that price is not inline with it's value today.
    It will get you online, do office routines and play older games, but it is getting dated by todays standards.
    For instance, most DVD burners need a P4 and a few need p3 800 as minimum specs.
    A year and a half ago, I purchased a Dell Optiplex GX110 P3 800 at a business auction for ~$35.
    I currently use it offline for business and family record keeping.
    It's quite good at those tasks.
    I just purchased recently a new Acer computer, AMD 3800 dual core processor, 1 gig of ram, DVD/CD writer, 250 gig Hard drive,and card reader that cost $470.
    I've seen some other killer deals on older tech Intel P4 3.06 computers in the $250 range. That's for a new computer.

For what they can do, these low priced new comps are a much better buy, IMHO.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Agreed with Stoner though I would go to $50 if it is super clean!

4. brite750

brite750

:eek: heck NO, what upgrades, that PC is from the 90's, dont go there girl friend;)

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

This may mean you already did or agreed to. If so get your money back and think about another ISP. If they seriously think that unloading their old equipment to unsuspecting customers at inflated prices is a good business practice then they need to be out of business. Sorry.

6. schusterjo

schusterjo

7. brite750

brite750

that what is sounds like alright;)

8. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

Compared to what I have been using, I figured it was worth it that way.
    My computer I'm using now is 128 MB RAM and 7GB HD and has several bad sectors on the HD. The one before that was 96MB RAM and 4GB HD. I have to go with someone that I can make pymts to, since I don't work anymore. Thanks for the input. I will eventually get a new computer from someone like Dell.

9. brite750

brite750

is this pc just for internet? is there a reason you cant make paymts to some other place, like dell or hp or gateway. If its basically for internet you dont need a super fast pc but new hardware would allow you to at least use XP Home.

10. brite750

brite750

I will also add that a Pent3 with 512 of ram will certainly be good enough for browsing and some light home use, music CD's etc., $320 is not a bargain hardware wise, but with the garantee and all it may be the least amount of hassle for you until you can get something nicer.

11. brite750

brite750

I will also add that a Pent3 with 512 of ram will certainly be good enough for browsing and some light home use, music CD's etc., $320 is not a bargain hardware wise, but with the garantee and all it may be the least amount of hassle for you until you can get something nicer.

12. brite750

brite750

hey neat, now that i have Explorer 7 i can double post and be twice as annoying

13. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I currently run XP Home on both of my computers, this new one will be for my everyday use. I didn't go thru Dell because when I spoke w/them they were rude because I don't use a credit card and won't go thru my bank to have the pymts deducted. Thanks for all the helpful advice. This will be my first new computer that I have bought. Every other computer I have had, has been old ones that I just repair myself when they screw up. My husband calls my computers "Frankenputers", because they have parts from everything.

14. griffinspc

griffinspc

Oh my God. And when you get on a coffee jag like the other day........:D

15. steveb1492

steveb1492

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice