1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this a good computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ACA529, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I think you could do better. You may wasnt to get something that supports some future games, too, and not just what is available now.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=6&name=Desktop-PCs

If you already have a licensed version of Windows, and you want to use it on a new computer, that would save you the cost of Windows if you buy a machine with no operating system and use your own.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=119

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Thanks but I think I'd prefer to stick with something at a local store. Any tips for a machine on FutureShop.ca or BestBuy.ca?

Thanks again.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it ships with onboard video, I can just about guarantee you that it is NOT going to work with a performance video card. The system you linked to is decent for email, spreadsheets, etc. It is NOT for gaming and if you buy it with the intent of running games, you are going to be disappointed.

If you want a gaming system, either build it yourself OR have a local shop build it for you.

5. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

What's the problem with onboard video if you add another video card?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The problem is that big box systems ie dell, hp, whatever ship with a pw supply that is just enough to pw the system as shipped. There is little reserve for any pw using upgrades ie video card. Next issue is cooling and space. Most of these use small cases that may or may not have room for a high end video card. Then you get into cooling issues. High end video cards generate heat. If the case does not have decent airflow, you are going to add heat to the rest of the parts.

In short IF you want a gaming system, then have one built. Do not buy a hp and expect it to run games. As I posted if you do this, you are going to be disappointed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice