Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this a good gaming PC or should I save up more $$$$$

Solved 
1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  metallica5456 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a gamer on the PC. My current computer is just a basic computer for office work and web surfing, but I use it for gaming. It plays most games at a good 60 fps, but I have decided to buy a new accual gaming pc and I was wondering if this was a good one for $550. Here are the specs:
CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2140 Desktop PC AMD FX-Series FX-6300 (3.50 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 500 GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1 GB Windows 10 Home 64-Bit. Also comes with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided if that matters. I also have an extra 12 Gb of RAM that I can install.
thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Save up more, quite a bit more. The GeForce GT 720 is not a gaming graphics card at all. GT models are the standard line, GTX models are the gaming models and those cost more. It's also an entry level gaming processor, personally I'd be looking an Intel i5-6xxx series processor. Is your RAM DDR3 or DDR4 and do the speeds and specs match newer systems? Many entry level CyperPower PC's also don't come with the best power supplies, just something to be aware of as well.

As a simple guide, see these:

CPU hierarchy chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html
The FX-6300 is way behind AMD's current top offerings and way below all current Intel models.

GPU hierarchy: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
The GT 720 hasn't made it onto the charts but the slightly faster GT 730 and you can see how far down it is.

Note the lower you go on those charts the older and slower the hardware. So the GT 730 is in the same bracket as a card from 2007, the 8800 GTX.

You can also look at Passmark scores for both the CPU and GPU.

#7 ·
Okay I've found one, its $800 dollars, the specs are:
Intel® Core™ i3-6100 Processor (2-Cores, 3MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, 3.7GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950 with 2GB GDDR5
8GB DDR4 at 2133MHz
1TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s
Alienware™ 460 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Is this worth the buy?

#10 ·
GTA V is the game with the highest requirements on your list followed closely by COD:AW. Both recommend a quad core processor like the Intel i5 series. Here's the system requirements: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/grand-theft-auto-v/12455
Minimum means it'll work, but not necessarily look good or play smoothly. Sound like you want to be in the Recommended Requirements.

#15 ·
try pcpartpicker.com it will allow you to pick your parts and tell you if compatible as well.

I would go with a 6th gen i5 (i5 6xxx at minimum)

I have a i7-6700K and a 8GB R9 390x and i can play what ever I want in 1080P. but I mainly play bf4 and COD titles so nothing SUPER intensive anyway

My build was right about 1000$...but only the best quality parts, imo

#16 ·
find a friend or local computer shop to build u a system....... people here can help u pick your parts!!

a start would be:

i5 6600k
asus or gigabyte z170 motherboard
8 or 16gb of ddr4 memory gskill,corsair,crucial...to name a few
samsung ssd
western digital hdd
corsair power supply
decent cpu cooler....coolermaster is good

#17 ·
find a friend or local computer shop to build u a system....... people here can help u pick your parts!!

a start would be:

i5 660k
asus or gigabyte z170 motherboard
8 or 16gb of ddr4 memory gskill,corsair,crucial...to name a few
samsung ssd
western digital hdd
corsair power supply
decent cpu cooler....coolermaster is good
Excellent advice by my pal, Replay...once again.

Corsair Power supplies normally have a 7-10 year warranty depending on model (sty away from the CX series however)

Best AM Air Cooler prolly would be a Hyper 212 Evo?

I have an asus z170a board i think it is and its a wonderful board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.