Is this a good NAS build?

misserinjoan

I'm trying to build my own NAS for video editing. I won't be working with 4k footage - 2k at the most. The NAS will primarily be for archive but I want to have the option to edit off of it, if needed. I'm fairly certain that this will do the job but my biggest concern is the "networking" part. I've never built a NAS so I'm not sure what is needed to connect it to my PC. Let me know if you have any insights.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Pg3L2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $560.90

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Erin Joan

crjdriver

I see one BIG problem. The motherboard you listed supports the processor you listed after bios F40 ie you will most likely need to update the bios to run that processor.
Next if you intend on doing actual editing/rendering, I would really go with at least a ryzen 5 and preferably a ryzen 7 like a 3700X. The 3200 is fine for just running a NAS however it might be a little slow rendering a video.
I do not see a ssd listed. If you intend on running the operating system from one of those 5400rpm drives, you will be waiting quite a while for the system to boot up, access the hard drive, etc.

crjdriver

BTW if you are going to be running this system 24/7 and have it function as a NAS, I would really be going with western digital black drives OR the Red/Pro drive.

misserinjoan

I see one BIG problem. The motherboard you listed supports the processor you listed after bios F40 ie you will most likely need to update the bios to run that processor.
Next if you intend on doing actual editing/rendering, I would really go with at least a ryzen 5 and preferably a ryzen 7 like a 3700X. The 3200 is fine for just running a NAS however it might be a little slow rendering a video.
I do not see a ssd listed. If you intend on running the operating system from one of those 5400rpm drives, you will be waiting quite a while for the system to boot up, access the hard drive, etc.
Thanks for the reply!

I think my wording was a little bit confusing - I don't need to use the NAS as an editing workstation. However, the drives and system have to be fast enough that I can use it for more than a backup (ie. I want to use the footage on the NAS in my projects that will be running on my main editing PC). I think you're right about the SSD - I'll definitely grab one for the OS.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need to clarify what you mean by using your NAS for your editing purposes. Is it just to act as a scratch space? Is it to be a storage resource for you to just pull files from? Is it for you to launch videos from?

Depending on those answers will dictate how you go about building this NAS. Typically, the slowest link with I/O related tasks is the network. You can have the fastest drives in a NAS but it'll do you no good if your network is the weak link. 10Gb network is coming down in price where it's realistic for a home enthusiast to implement it.

misserinjoan

You need to clarify what you mean by using your NAS for your editing purposes. Is it just to act as a scratch space? Is it to be a storage resource for you to just pull files from? Is it for you to launch videos from?

Depending on those answers will dictate how you go about building this NAS. Typically, the slowest link with I/O related tasks is the network. You can have the fastest drives in a NAS but it'll do you no good if your network is the weak link. 10Gb network is coming down in price where it's realistic for a home enthusiast to implement it.
Sorry - it was definitely unclear. While I'm going to use it as an archive, I also want to use it as a storage resource to pull from. Also - do I need to get an ethernet card?

Thanks for your time!

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It really depends. The motherboard you've listed comes with a 1Gb network adapter. The other variable you haven't mentioned is the workstation you're using to do work on the video. What network adapter is on that box? I assume you plan on going wired and not wireless. For most people 1Gb is still plenty fast. But if you want the fastest possible connection at a reasonable cost, you're looking at 10Gb. But to get 10Gb, you'll have to add 10Gb network adapters for the NAS and the workstation along with getting a 10Gb capable switch. You also have to use a minimum of Cat6 cabling (if the distance between the switch and the NAS/PC is less than 55 meters).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts