1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this computer good for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allanon, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allanon

Allanon Thread Starter

Hey--I'm thinking of buying a new PC and my main goal is for it to be a gaming computer (the only other thing I'll use it for is surfing the net or using Word and stuff like that).

Here are the specs (along with my questions):

case:
    Soyo midtower Aluminum case/w 300 watt PSU

motherboard:
    MSI K7N2-L motherboard, powered by NForce 2 chipset

cpu:

Athlon XP-BARTON 3000 400 2500 w/HSF (I suppose I'm worried about this: should I go Athlon or Pentium?)

RAM:
    1Gig 3200 DDR 2 stick

Video card:
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg

storage:
    Seagate 40g 7200 HDD

optical drive:
    48x/24/48 CD-R/RW/ROM

Monitor:
    add 19in Monitor

This with keyboard and mice and floppy which I didn't include in the listing is about $1500. Firstly: is that a good deal (am I getting ripped off or what?), should I go AMD or Intel?, will this computer be able to play games for a decent amount of time (I"m looking for lifespan of about 4-5 years)?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. gws226

gws226

Fine for gaming... will last you a few years no problem.

As for the price... I guess thats about right... assuming that it doesn't come with any software.

Try http://newegg.com and http://mwave.com for pricing

Also... your paying through the teeth for the latest cpu and vid cards, consider maybe stepping down to a 2600 or 2700 and a 9600 or 9700. That should save you $150+

G

3. SexyTech

SexyTech

Just a word of caution...

Watch the Nvidia Motherboard chipsets, they're fairly new and may not play nice with some games & components.

While the AMD processors are decent for Gaming, they tend to get hot. You might see if there's an AMD motherboard with a VIA chipset. or going with Intel CPU & Chipset would be a viable alternative.

Just make sure you keep things running cool!

4. Allanon

Allanon Thread Starter

G, thank you. I've made an adjustment to save some money. Now about the AMD: should I go Pentium? I want to get the best I'm paying for as far as gaming is concerned.

Sexytech,

I didn't know I had an Nvidea motherboard chipset? Was the one I put down one of those?

Hmm... This was the site I'm looking at:

http://members.aol.com/jelder9132/custom1.htm

Do guys have any sites you'd recomend me to in order to find a really nice gaming computer (I prefer to be able to customize my comp too)? I want to get the best for my money.

5. Allanon

Allanon Thread Starter

I guess the one thing I'm worried about is Pentium vs Athlon. I want the best one for gaming... or does it not make a difference?

I don't know enough about computers to make an educated choice... which is why I need ya'lls help :)

I've looked at the Elder's computers site and also alienware. But alienware seems to be massively expensive.

My budget is less than 2k

6. gws226

gws226

From testing websites its appears that the P4's are a bit faster than the AMD equivilents in most tests...

Although i've always owned Pentiums, the dollar value differences between the AMD chips has been catching my eye more and more often... A lot of the techs in here run AMDs... I think will a worthwhile proposition to look into them as a cost saving method when building a rig...

If you really want top of line performance... then the 800 bus speed P4's are tops on the block... but your gonna pay it.
    I have a P4 2.0 that I OCd to 2.44 it runs everything without a problem... even at 2.0, I can see this PC latesting me another year or so before I would consider replacing it...

The real key here is the motherboard... whatever one you get, make sure that it supports the latest processor offerred. It will be an easy upgrade for you in the future when you discover your Athlon 2500+ is a little slow... you can just pop in Athlon 3400+ and be up and running again.

G

7. gws226

gws226

How much do you know about computers?

Would you consider purchasing a barebones PC (motherboard, processor, ram, PSU, floppy drive, CDrom.. then you install the Video card and Hard drives yourself?

If so... check http://mwave.com-- they offer an excellent selection of barebones PCs that will come prebuilt--> just add video, hard drives, and OSs.

Good luck,
    G

8. Allanon

Allanon Thread Starter

I suppose I could make it work if I had help from this forum.

9. zeddy

zeddy

That rig looks sweet!

10. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Approx. $800.00 3DMark2001SE scores of at least 12,000+ without tweaking or overclocking:

Super System:

Asus A7N8X-X mobo $86.99
    AMD XP2500+ (Retail) cpu $89.00
    Maxtor 120Gig/8MBcache/ATA133/7200rpm hdd $112.50
    Corsair Twin512MB Dual Channel RAM $162.00
    Googlgear Mid-tower Server case 420w Dual fanps $80.00
    LiteOn DVD 16x48x $39.99
    LiteOn CDRW 52x32x52 $48.99
    Mitsumi Floppy $14.50
    ATI(BUILT BY) 9600Pro AGP8x 128MB/TV-out&DVI(Retail) 173.50

Total without shipping, etc................ $807.47 These prices were taken from:

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Home.jsp

At this time, it is better NOT to rely on the 3DMark2003 scores and use the 2001SE version. You may be able to find some cheaper prices, but this is a decent vendor and you are getting high quality parts for a stable, reliable system that will just SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.techguy.org/showthrea...threadid=147918

This leaves you enough to get a good 19" ( AOC) flatscreen monitor and some decent speakers and maybe change to a Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo.

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Only problem I see is the motherboard you selected has capacitors that may block installation of the video card...... Better search for a review on it first. As far as the Nvidia Nforce2 board and what Sexytech said, I've build at least 17 builds now using Nforce2 boards, they are a bit finicky about memory, but they are no more problematic than any other motherboards. That's a fine mobo in my op. Check if your video card isn't going to contact the capacitor caps, or block the ram installation first though.

Oh, and the board he's chooseing has better benchmarks than the Asus board, at a cheaper cost.

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

13. Allanon

Allanon Thread Starter

Btw... about upgrading, because I'm not sure if buying a cpu is right for me yet.

What I need to do is this.

for ~$300-400 I need to turn my

Pentium III 800MHz
    256MB 133MHz SDRAM
    20GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    32MB NVIDIA GeForce AGP Graphics Card

Into the leanest meanest Gaming machine I can get ( I know it won't be uber but it can be better than what it is). What should I do? I have a couple of things I think I should go with it: double the RAM, get some more processing power and get a serious Video Card upgrade.

Question is: How do I know what parts to buy? How do I know if my motherboard will take them? I've installed RAM and a Video Card before (its a pain in the rear) and can probably do it again. But I don't want to buy anything and not have it work on the motherboard I got. So... if you had about 400 to upgrade what would you do to squeeze the most out of your computer? Thanks in advance.

14. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

A quick idea, you might find lower prices elsewhere:

Use your case, cd-rom, floppy and harddrive(as slave), buy:

Asus A7N8X-X mobo $86.99
    AMD 2100+XP cpu $65.00
    Maxtor 40G/133/7200 hdd $59.50
    Kingston 512mb PC2700 RAM $84.00
    Antec Solution Series 400w Power Supply $61.49
    Sapphire/ATI 9000Pro 128MB vidcard $81.00

Total $437.98 without s/h

You might find these for closer to $400 from www.newegg.com or somewhere else. these prices came from www.googlegear.com

15. zeddy

zeddy

Allanon:

StillLearnin' and gotrootdude are the "man" (men) when it comes to finding quality kit at cheap prices - soak up their advice! I just wish I could get the kit here in the UK at their price deals.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice