1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this considered spyware?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by spywarehater, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spywarehater

spywarehater Thread Starter

While browsing my system, I noticed that my occache folder had an ActiveX control for "Register" and the URL listed in the properties was from http://content.hiwirenetworks.net - I did some searching and one site had it listed in an excluded hosts file as spyware.

I have been unable to find out anything else about this file or what it does. I have run BHODemon, Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware (all with the latest updates), but none of these programs shows anything abnormal.

I uninstalled the control, but RegCleaner still shows registry information for hiwire (I have not deleted the registry information as of yet). A search of windows files through Start/Find shows nothing related to hiwire, although it may be hidden within a program somewhere.

How did I get it, and where should I go from here? Do I have something else lurking on my system somewhere that the above-mentioned programs have missed? Maybe I am just one of those paranoid people who really does not like my privacy intruded upon, but I feel that if it was really a legitimate program then I would be able to find more than just a few hits through the major search engines.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is some info about the site here, I don't know how trustworthy it is or why activex control was considered spyware by others. It certainly won't hurt to delete it and you should get a prompt to reinstall it if is related to something you are using.

http://www.hiwire.com/tech_support/

3. spywarehater

spywarehater Thread Starter

Thanks for finding that article for me! I admit I was a little hesitant to go to the site when I found it during an internet search.....always afraid of having my browser hijacked (BAD experience with Xupiter a month or so ago *SHUDDER*). Since I already got rid of the ActiveX control, I will just delete the registry entries now (and keep a vigilant eye out for other weird stuff).

By the way....this forum is AMAZING!!! I have learned so much by just reading the posts, and the advice given is always so thorough. As a matter of fact, I zapped Xupiter through the advice I read in the previous posts in less time than it took me to find the forum in the first place!

Thanks again! :D

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're most welcome, it's nice to know the forum is meeting your needs :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!