1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this even possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daenaeryas, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daenaeryas

Daenaeryas Thread Starter

Hi,

First of all, im not that good with hardware but i wanted to buy a new computer from scratch. because i do like to learn from it :p

I looked for some components and found these:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1 WIFI
    Videocard: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Processor: Intel Core i7-5820K Boxed
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    Intern memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2A2400C14

The videocard has a PCI-e 3.0 x 16 card interface, so it should be able to connect to the motherboard.
    also the processor needs a 2011-3 socket that the motherboard has.

But i dont know if there are any more problems or maybe you see other reasons that is couldnt work. i would like to know that before i spend so much money on it :p

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    PCI-Express is forward and backward compatible for the revision so while its good to match them up and to get as much bandwidth as possible for high-end graphics cards you could technically use a motherboard/processor that only supports PCI-Express 2.0 - this is just for reference as all current motherboards support PCI-Express when paired with a processor that also supports it. The motherboard does need to have a physical PCI-Express x16 wide though and pretty much all do except for some mini board.

The socket for the CPU is important and matches, the BIOS also has to support the CPU which it should on that board right out of the box.

You will also need a proper quality power supply with the required wattage and amps to run that video card plus the rest of the system. In this it needs to be at least a 500 watt power supply. A 600 watt PSU would be the minimum I'd go for but no need to go over the top with one either unless you plan to add additional video cards. Here's a good guide: http://elitegamingcomputers.com/the-best-gaming-power-supplies/

You'll also want a good sized case with good cooling.

This is an extremely high end system, you sure you need such a cutting edge system?

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

I have to agree with 6 here, if you are mainly a gamer but you still want a high end processor an i7-4790K might be what you could look at to save some cash as well as a good Z97 motherboard. The 4790K is beast of a processor.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do remember if you go with a socket 2011 v3, the cpu comes without a cooler [even though it is retail or boxed] You will need to purchase a hsf along with your other parts.

If you go with something like a 4790k, [socket 1150] it will come with a hsf. The stock intel hsf is fine for basic use however if you intend to overclock, it is generally advised to purchase a high end after-market cooler.

That is a pretty high end system you have selected. What is the intended use of the system? If you are building this primarily as a learning experience, you can do so with parts that do not cost as much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice