1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this graphics problem hardware or software related?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Christopher06, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Christopher06

Christopher06 Thread Starter

Hi guys, I been having a strange problem with my graphics card lately. Randomly yesterday I was playing Call of Duty (Modern Warfare 2) and suddenly the graphics went crazy on me (see attached pictures). I can't imagine what would randomly cause this to happen. While I originally thought it was a problem with just this game, there are small noticable graphics glitches that occur on my computer now. On startup, for instance, the computer screen has tiny white dots going up and down, and there are some other minor glitches but nothing extremely noticable.

Basically I'm wondering if this could possibly be a fixable software problem, or if it's a hardware issue. Last year I had my graphics card suddenly break, but the computer was basically unusable after that, which leads me to believe this may actually be a driver problem with my graphics card. I installed new drivers for the card but it had no effect.

My card is a Radeon HD 4350.

The only change in the computer I can think of is that I installed a demo of a game (Jedi Knight II), which played perfectly fine, and played Call of Duty afterwards and everything was working fine for at least a little while before this problem surfaced.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attached Files:

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

My guess is hardware. Are you sure the card's fan is spinning freely and at full speed. Are its cooling fins clear of dust?

3. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

When exactly does this happen? If it happens before the Windows loading screen then it's probably a hardware fault since no drivers are loaded before the OS. :(

Many HD 4350 cards use passive cooling solutions. Your problem could be related to overheating, especially while you play games which stress your card. Start a game, play for a while and then check what temperature Catalyst reports.

Another possible cause for this problem could be your PSU. If the PSU is inadequate or faulty, problems like this are likely to occur.

You could try finding a spare working PSU and check if the problem persists.

4. Christopher06

Christopher06 Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I actually just had a new PSU installed about a month ago. Also, the problem has worsened (see pics for what I mean).

I'm not sure how to check if the card's fan is running smoothly or correctly. Any suggestions on how I might check that? I'm really trying to avoid taking this POS into a computer shop because they're pretty shady around here.

Attached Files:

5. replay

replay

take the side of the case off and inspect the fan on the card (for dust)
    lay your tower on its side then power up so u can see if the fan is working
    ......what kind of power supply did u buy?

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Yes, sometimes a cheap "good" power supply can be no better than a good broken one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice