1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this hardware realted?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rusking, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rusking

rusking Thread Starter

I have about 14 years of computer experience but i have never seen this. My HP need some partitions resize and such so i went to install just Vista on my only hookedup hdd. 111GB is use to have XP Pro and Vista. Anyways if freezes or takes a very long time todo anything in any setup I mean like 2 hours to click next and another menu come up. Some times it just becomes unresponsive. I switch hard drives, CDs and cdroms. What can this be? CPU? RAM? how can i test? Im soo lost

2. rusking

rusking Thread Starter

(in vista install) I do notice that i can alt F4 to end setup if i want and use the mouse. Both respond with a promt to close setup like its responding ok but the setup doesnt move and im still at the preinstall stages

(in xp pro install) THe system stops responding at the end of the preinstall. Right befor you choose partirions to install to. The last driver/protocal/etc to run is Setup is starting windows. Then a freez on that screen. Note i install from bootable cds. What going on?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Test the memory?

Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

Are the drives OK in BIOS with DMA enabled?

How are you starting the setup? If from DOS, and you don't have smartdrv activated, there is no disk cache and it will take forever.

4. rusking

rusking Thread Starter

I am in the process of testing the memory with the application you suggested. I did however test the memory with the vista mem diag tool. It gave me that option at boot with my dual os's. That menu is gone now and the hardrive is blank.

The installs are loaded from first boot device. CDROM. I woudl be dos but im not sure what (smartdrv) is. I specualte that it is a device protocal that windows loads by defualt when booting form cd?

I am also about to test a bootable linux live cd to see if i can get to a desktop. I dont know why but i feel that my CPU if fried.

NOTE: I did get windows 2003 server to reformate the drive and copy all files to the hard drive then when it reboots it goes back to the start of setup only to freez agin. I do notice (an this is very odd) after 3 reboots i see 3 images that are random on the screen, A pink @ sign a blue triangle and a bright greeb square....they are on both my monitors so its not pixles burning out. LOL hangs down the worst shape iv ever seen a pc in and its mine lol.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Smartdrv is an optional load for bootable DOS floppies (or DOS CD's if made that way). If you are booting from the CD and starting setup, smartdrv is not an issue.

After loading files in setup, the machine reboots. On that first reboot, the machine should boot to the hard drive and not the CD. If it boots to the CD, setup will just restart and you will be in a loop.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice