1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this java or css?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Likeatalltree, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Likeatalltree

Likeatalltree Thread Starter

I want to do something similar to this guys page, http://www.electricheat.org, where you can click on a link to one of his works and it appears in that open area. I couldn't imagine how to do it in css so im guessing its java. I want to do this to keep my load time low when people visit my page instead of tons of images loading at once.

thanks

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

It's neither, he's using iframes

3. lumentec

lumentec

Java is a scripting language developed by Sun Microsystems which is useful for making small visual applications and games in a 3D environment.
    Javascript was developed by W3C and is a scripting language used on websites for various things, none of which similar to Java.

Javascript is the only way to do what you say you want your website to look like. Most likely, you'll want to have a table which spans the entire page if you'd like your links on the side. The table would have 1 <tr> and 2 <td>'s. One for the side links and one for the content.
    The Javascript will take an ID of an object (in this case, the <td> element) and change the contents with "document.getElementById("id").innerHTML='something'".

If you need more help, feel free to ask.

UPDATE: This is how you would get that effect with javascript. Iframes are messy and some browsers don't support them.

4. Likeatalltree

Eeek. Sorry about saying java instead of javascript, i was in a hurry lol. But I'm trying to make my page purely css and html for my web design class. I know nothing of javascript so even if i wanted to, I probably could not do what he did. I'm thinkin I might do a hover effect instead, similar to the way he did it where you hover and it displays to the right like in a separate div but it sounds like a lot of coding.

5. lumentec

lumentec

You can't dynamically change content with CSS... unless you use HTML frames. But that isn't truly dynamic.

6. namenotfound

namenotfound

JavaScript was created by NETSCAPE, not W3C

7. Likeatalltree

Alright, I guess I'm limited to links to the images instead. I'm sure he won't mind that I'm not a genius at web coding yet =] I know enough to make a basic yet graphically appealing web page.

8. lumentec

lumentec

k.

9. caraewilton

caraewilton

10. dannyn

dannyn

I would bet that you could create something similar with either, or a compilation of both.

11. lumentec

lumentec

I'm pretty sure this would only work if the entirety of his site was images. The text and everything would have to be converted to an image. That's not only challenging to achieve... it also creates huge loading times.

12. caraewilton

caraewilton

Sorry, I thought he was talking about pictures.

13. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

Not completely true :)

Check out this tutorial on drop-down menus. You could use the same idea - making a number of divs with display: none and then another hover state where it does show. I'm not sure how this would work with all the divs positioned in the same place, but I'm sure if you used absolute positioning it would look OK.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice