1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is this laptop good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mshabsovich, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

hey,

Yes I would say that is a nice laptop to be honest. It has a dual core i5 which usually have plenty of power. Also it has 4GB of DDR3 (all be it the slowest type of ddr3) this would still be very fast ram though.

I have found out this website which has it for $120 cheaper if you are ok to wait until they are back in stock.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...?&type=product&id=1218159867078&ref=39&loc=01

3. mshabsovich

thanks, i saw it at best buy but they are out of stock and it wont be back because sony does not make that model anymore. but the god thing is that tiger direct does not charge tax or shipping and best buy does so in the end the price is almost the same

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

OK fair enough but yeah that does seem to be a nice laptop.

5. Compiler

Compiler

Do you need such a computer for more office/education use or gaming? Note the SONY uses island type keyboard - the keys are flat. SONY support is also pretty low in my book, especially as the computer ages. Since you have a budget at $1000... you're not out to get something cheap

Look at these:

ThinkPad T410 ($919) - but if you go to www.thinkpadtoday.com - you may get an ecoupon to get the price
    down to $850 or so. Look at features and gallery. It has a crash cage, spill-protected keyboard (it has drain holes), best keyboard in the industry, 5lbs, NON-glossy screen (Yeah!) - then click on T410

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=19C791A03AF24034A0011B825513BCED

Go to the $919 model. They do charge extra $30 for a higher res screen. And get a WAN screen if you think you'll want to use at&t, Verizon or Clear G3-G4 wireless internet services. ie: you don't need to have a card sticking out of the notebook. When you look at the WiFi options, these are important. Most notebooks have basic... which are fine for most people. But in huge office or huge homes - the beefed up WiFi makes a difference. In one of my clients homes - only the beefed up ThinkPads will work. These T-400 series have a crash-cage for the LCD screen too.

For more gaming, IdeaPad: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...71ACFD7C4475B8E490358F8CA8C3&tabname=Features

Y460 = $1050 - ATI 5650 card (more powerful), same i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD. Also check for ecoupons (google).

I just ordered a T410 for a client, found an eCoupon and was able to go from 2GB to 4GB for $15 less.

6. mshabsovich

you said that sony support is bad? i heard the exact opposite. Apple and Sony are the best in terms of service and resale value

7. mshabsovich

Is it possible to upgrade the video card on the dell studio 14 or is it somehow proprietary?

8. Compiler

Compiler

There are no upgradeable Video expansion on any notebooks (maybe 2~3 out of the world - $2000+). That what desktops are for.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice