1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this normal? Losing hard drive space...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AstroFan, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AstroFan

AstroFan Thread Starter

In the last few hours I've lost about 0.4 GB off my hard drive, and was wondering if this is normal. I did not download or install anything during this period, and I was not playing any games that would take up space via saved games. The only thing I had open was Firefox and AIM. My internet cache is set to only save up to 50 MB, so that should not be it.

I have noticed my hard drive space gradually disappearing for no explainable reason(to me) over the last few weeks, so I am just curious if this is normal or not. Thank you.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might first want to scan for viruses and spyware to rule out either of those.

Also, if you boot and don't connect to the Internet, do you still lose hard drive space.

Have you ran any utilities to see where the files are being placed?

3. AstroFan

AstroFan Thread Starter

I scanned for spyware yesterday and there was nothing significant, but I'll try scanning for viruses.

What utilities would I run to check where the files are being placed?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One option is to simply use the Windows Explorer. Then start searching files by date. You may be able to see where those most recent ones are getting placed.

A program I've used a lot is TreeSize. It lets you easily sort directories by size so you can see where the most space is being taken up.

Of course you should always do things like clean out the temp directory and the Internet Cache files.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

It could be normal where System Restore will use hard drive space and you cannot really see where that is.

6. AstroFan

AstroFan Thread Starter

The largest file that has been modified in the last 2 days is only 33 MB. I'm not done with the virus scan though.

7. raybro

raybro

I ran into something recently which may or may not be relevant to you question. I noticed some partitions indicated the available free space to be significantly less than what I absolutely knew they should be. I ran defrag and they came back to what they should have been. Give it a try if you think it fits.

Raybro

8. jellofellow

jellofellow

did u run Disk CleanUp?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice