1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this pc good ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rushman, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

Its processor:AMD SEMPRON 140 hard drive:250 GB ram:1 gb and video card GeForce 7025 256MB and if its not good just please dont tell me to look for a better one because i dont have much money :p

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Is it a new one? if so what make and model?

Its not a hot rod, but it will do for a home PC.

3. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

I havent bought it yet just asking if it will do for some cool games and is the processor better than Inter Celeron 2.4 Ghz ?

4. Compiler

Compiler

What cool games? Like Left for Dead? World of Wor Craft? The Sims, UT3?

For the most part, no. Faster than a celeron 2.4, yes. That AMD CPU costs about $30... a $60 AMD x2 CPU would give about 3~4 times the performance. You need a gaming video card... 1GB? Is this an XP or a Windows7 system?

GeForce 7025 is a pretty poor chipset, if I remember right - its limited to 2GB of RAM.

If you want something for gaming, look at $500 or so... what is your budget? Are you looking to build yourself?

5. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

Lol lots of questions , Ok in my country (bulgarian) our money are in BGN and in dollars 500 dollars are 1000 BGN here so that a lot more than what iv got and i want to play Wow with no lag , Heroes of Newerth with maby just a little lag ^^ and i dont think my motherboard will be able to work with a amd x2 cpu so thats why i am looking for a cheap computer that will work with these games :p

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. Compiler

Compiler

We don't know what you're saying...

What do you have now?

When you asked about the AMD SEMPRON 140, were you saying that is what you have now? What you are looking to buy now? We don't know. The Sempon 140 is a current bottom end AMD AM3 CPU... meaning the motherboard it is attached to should support AMD X2~x4 CPUs.

Add a $50~75 video card would make a big difference. Look at the ATI 4650~4670 or 5570~5670s. That sempron is easily faster than the Celeron... but spending $20 extra for an AMD x2 240 would offer more than double the performance.

8. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

Ok look i now have Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz with Nvidia GeForce 5200 , Windows XP , 1.25 Ram and the other one is what i found most cheap that i have the money to buy so i just want to know if its good for the game World of warcraft and Heroes of newerth or other good games and i want to ask if AMD SEMPRON 140 i as good as Inter Pentium 4 because most games want that processor.

9. Compiler

Compiler

The AMD Sempron 140 is better than any P4 and for sure any other Netburst celeron (a crippled P4) and its on a modern computer board. You need to confirm what motherboard make sure it has a PCIe x16 slot

You don't provide details... but since you're not posting a model number "HP 2351" whatever, then I have to assume its a computer built by a local shop.

The onboard video is pretty much the same as the GeForce 5200.

So again, you'd need to budget for the video cards above to get any real performance difference. But you can buy that later at any time... but you maybe limited by the power supply that is included with the computer. Typical power supply is 300watt. You should ask for a quality 400+ watt unit if possible.

And again, in the USA, the Sempron 140 is $35USD... the x2 240 is $55USD. So you can spend $20 to upgrade today or do it in the future by spending $55 and have to put it in.

You want want to play games, but you can't expect a bottom end system with standard graphics (about a $200 computer) to perform like a $300 or $500 computer that has faster parts.

10. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

Dude sorry i dont provide details but thats what it says in the website and yes its a local shop and you can see up that your $ is a lot in BGN ($=2BGN)

11. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

And i dont have that much money for that parts i just want to know if the game Heroes of Newerth , Wow and other will work with that pc. So if its good thanks :)

12. Compiler

Compiler

Again... pretty much NO. You'll have to run the games in lowest possible details and resolution and you'll still pretty much have a slide show. *IF* you want to play good games, you *NEED* to get the hardware to do it. If it wasn't a hardware issue you wouldn't be looking to upgrade from your celeron systems.

Is the AMD S-140 faster? Yes. Is the hardware you posted good for games? NO!
    And if its Windows7, 1GB of RAM may become an issue with games. Of Vista, it will be bad. If Xp, it'll be fine.

The answers won't change. You have to check on the PSU for future upgrades or you will be spending money you don't have to replace it. You need to save your money, sell your old computer until you can afford the computer that will do what you need. I am not rich, I have bills. It was about a week before I bought 1GB of RAM for my son because his memory failed... and I wanted the best price I can get.

So ask the shop "What Power supplies do you offer? What is included? What is the costs differences?" If the shop puts in a cheap $15 PSU, it may last you a few months... if you add a gaming card, it maybe burn-up your whole NEW computer at any time. What brands are available in your country?

If you do not want to/ cannot spend the money on the computer (BGN 200~250), then don't plan on playing games or wasting your money. Save or don't bother.

13. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

Ok Thanks for the help i guess i will wait till i grow up and get a job and then play my games :\

14. Compiler

Compiler

Sorry, but yes. But look at doing chores... work for it. I bought my own computer parts at age 15, working. I spent more money on a floppy drive than what that AMD Sempron costs. :)

Games need at least 30fps to be playable (still suck), 60fps is desired and allows for slow downs. This chart may help you a bit...

A low-end performance chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...nstream-quality-update-3/F.E.A.R.-2,1648.html

6200 = $20 @ 03fps (estimate) or the Nvidia 7025.. which is most likely slower.
    3450 = $30 @ 11fps Not a gaming card.
    4350 = $35 @ 21fps better... but still not for games.
    3650 = $40 @ 38fps
    GT220 = $45 @ 54fps (GeForce DX 10 card)
    4650 = $45 @ 55fps (estimate)
    4670 = $65 @ 81fps (And this is considered an entry level gaming card - I use this)

So if you're looking at something later this year... look at the GT220 or ATI 4650~4670.

CPU benchmarks with World of Warcraft

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/62

But doesn't include bottom end CPUs... so lets do a different game: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/48

Scroll down to the bottom. Your current CPU is not on the list. Pretend its the Celeron 420.

28fps = Celeron 420
    55fps = AMD LE1620 (bout the same as the Sempron 140) $35
    95fps = AMD x2 240 ($20 more... double the performance) $55

Even the $1000 top end intels only hit 140fps... that X2 240 is a bottom end AMD dual core and it does an excellent job.

15. rushman

rushman Thread Starter

Ok i will see what i can do but i have a little family problems so i dont think if i do more chores i can get it but i will see what the future brings to me. :p Thanks for all the help :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice