1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this PC on the way out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by classylassy, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. classylassy

classylassy Thread Starter

Windows ME 3 years old

Strange thing

One minute the desktop was showing, suddendly screen went blank had to press reset button

Would only start in safe mode, from there i did a system restore, everything returned to normal and PC was used for a few hours.

Next day daughter was using PC chatting on MSN,when, help and support appeared (dont no why) she just got rid of it!!!
    For some reason she ctl/alt/del and the screen went black again,
    so we pressed the reset button again,
    got the message
    "windows protection - system halted while initialising VRE DIR."

PC would not boot up this time, not even in safe mode

Rebooted using start up disk, which suggested scandisk,restore registry and to run set up

We ran scandisk which reported errors,

"Surface scan cluster 559,104 is timing out and will soon fail. There is no file cluster 559,104. Scan disk did not patch the cluster"

Scan disk suggested running scnadisk again,,, which we did,

Hours later :eek: ,

We then ran set up , during which time this was reported

"Unable to write to C Drive Data or files may be lost" OK

Pressed OK and PC continued to update system settings,

The next thing we saw was Scan disk running yet again, doing a thorough scan..

Finally when this had finished PC started up as normal.

In your expert opinions do u think, that hard disk is about to fail,(bearing in mind the error about timing out and will soon fail, if so what is my next step, Or do u think that as we have done all the above,(reinstalled ME) that we will still encounter problems or have we sorted them out?,,,, Maybe we will just have to wait and see..

Thank you for your opinions.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

back it up and look for a new drive.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Agree, a new harddrive will run you under a hundred dollars. If you do a clean install of Windows ME - or something better - you'll get the new feel of a computer.

The harddrive is a physical part, reinstalling will not fix it - only a trash can will. Now most drives had a 3 year warranty, newer ones have a 1/3 year warranty. This may be worthwhile looking into. Sometimes the date it was made it right on the drive, if not go to the harddrives manufacturers site and check the warranty status. ie. www.maxtor.com www.fujitsu.com www.ibm.com

4. classylassy

Does that mean i do a clean install on this drive to resolve any likely problems?, or buy a new drive?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Buy a new drive, its a physical part. The drive is just one small piece in the computer.

6. Ridgerunr

Ridgerunr

I would suggest you get the diagnostic tool from the drive Mfg. and run it before you dump the drive.

Also,,how long has it been since the inside of the computer case has been cleaned of dust bunnies etc. ? Many of the issues you speak of can be caused by overheating. Although a heat issue 'can' cause permanent damage to hardware such as the HDD, it can also cause many problems that may seem software related. Does the PC case have adequate ventilation with intake fan(s) low in front and an exhaust fan(other than PSU exhaust) in upper rear? And is the case in a well ventilated area and up off the floor a foot or more? All these scenarios can lead to overheating problems if not considered...

7. classylassy

Thanks for the reply.

I have to admit i have never ventured inside the cover of the PC case. So this is the 1st thing i will do.
    It is kept off the floor on the desk, and has ventilation holes at the lower rear and upper rear of the case.
    Thank you for your suggestions,, all of u thanks!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice