1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is this PC specs good?...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glip69, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glip69

glip69 Thread Starter

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
    512RAM
    80GBHDD

is that good?

would that help me with games such as football manager and masses of music files?

thanks reuben x

2. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

Averagely good considering most comercial desktops for home use released at the moment are around that spec.
    should handle football manager and similiar games without much of a problem, and theres no reason why an 80gb cant hold masses of music files.
    I have an 80gb HDD with a mass of music files on, if i played them back to back i would have muic playing 24hours for around 10days and im only using about 11gb all told...

plus i have movies galore on my HDD still got over 10gb left....
    for music should suit u fine though

3. glip69

glip69 Thread Starter

:) its only about 1.6Ghrz though? would that be fast? but AMD is diff to intel so wud tht mean that it is basicly the same as a 2.8GHrz intel?

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Are you thinking of buying a used PC with those specs or doing an upgrade to your existing machine with that prcessor and the rest?

5. glip69

glip69 Thread Starter

Upgrade.

6. glip69

glip69 Thread Starter

well my motherboard was blown.so a friend is upgrading it all. :). Y?

Roo

PS: my last machine ws intel 2.8GHRZ 512.ram 80HDD

7. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

I run the same processor on my desktop at the moment and it handles everything i throw at it.
    I wouldnt say it was as fast as a intel 2.8ghz, no way. Although i may be a lil biast, i always tend to go with AMD, ive always found them to be better quality processors.

As long as your not looking to play the latest high spec 3d graphical games, that use up most of ur resources, then this porcessor would be fine, also got to remember the amount you mother board will take so, wudnt try and get too high spec a processor if your doing an upgrade, If your looking to go faster than 1.6ghz, id check what the max your motherboard could take first.

Like i said though, for the uses you were mentioning using ur machine for. Should sut you fine.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well, that 2800+ is a little long in the tooth and if you're buying it off NewwEgg or another site then you'll probably pay as much for it as a Athlon 3500+ and there's a huge difference in performance. You may have a socket 754 already which of course makes a difference but for me I'd seriously consider going a little further with a 939 socket. Here's some price comparisons. I did a quick google and saw the 2800+ for the same and in 2 case more $$.

9. glip69

glip69 Thread Starter

yer. well he's upgrading everything really for £155. new case.new motherboard.upgrading HDD.dunno about the ram.he might just leave the RAM as it is. Dont really know how much of an upgrade i can get for £155.wether im stepping down from the intel 2.8 or going up hehe.

10. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

Are you sure he is upgrading the HDD? for around £155, id expect they would utilise the current HDD and Ram.
    Upgrade like this, for this price would prob just be New case (with psu), motherboard, Processor with heathsync and fan.

11. glip69

glip69 Thread Starter

well...probably so.you can get 160GB HDD for about £35 now.and i think he is just leaving the RAM.it is a good deal.i would have got it today but there aint any silver cases left.so imgetting it friday instead.

12. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

I quite agree its a good deal.
    I have taken advantage of similiar deals b4...

13. glip69

glip69 Thread Starter

and also he sais he will charge £25 for the operating system (in with the £155)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice