1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this power supply good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tyler2015, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tyler2015

tyler2015 Thread Starter

Hello,

I want to upgrade my PSU and I wanted other peoples opinion on what you guys recommend.

My current PSU: Corsair CX750M

My PC build:

Motherboard: MSI87-G45

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Memory: G.Skill 16GB

GPU: PNY Factory *OC Geforce GTX 780ti

HHD: Two Seagate 1TB each and one 250GB SSD

Note - I have lots of lighting, even though it does not use much power.

The PSU I am looking to upgrade to is the Seagate 860w PL.
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...11&cm_re=seasonic_860w-_-17-151-111-_-Product

Tell me what you think about it. Thank you.

2. Blu_86

Blu_86

How is the power supply you know how performing? Is it giving you any problems?

3. tyler2015

tyler2015 Thread Starter

Well in the beginning it seemed to work fine with no problems, until my PSU died in the first 3 days.

I then had that PSU exchanged for another CX750M.

This PSU seems to be working alright, but recently my graphics card started showing side effect and I think it's due to the PSU. I think that the PSU could not give out sufficient power to my GPU and at times my GPU acted up when it tried to go max power. I did have my computer shut off on me 4-5 times randomly.

Thank god my GPU has lifetime warranty and I am getting it replaced as we speak.

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

That SeaSonic power supply is a hundred times better than the Corsair CX line. The CX line is not designed to run high or even high-mid range graphics cards.

5. Blu_86

Blu_86

This statement is incorrect. They are designed to run mid and high end GPU's. They just aren't as good as Seasonic built power supplies. Yes they are better but not 100 times better. That statement is so far off base I don't know what to tell you.

Right now I run an R9 290x on a Thermaltake smart 750W. It's CWT built. It's the exact same power supply as the Corsair CX 750W except the tt has flat ribbon cables and a smart fan that is temperature regulated No issues.

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

You should get out of the PC building Blu and I mean that with the upmost respect. If you are building computers for people and using such rubbish then EXPECT to do warranty work for free.

7. Blu_86

Blu_86

Well I really don't my units work very well. Customers are very happy. I have a few issues like any tech but for the most part my business is extremely successful. Been doing it a long time, and no, I won't be leaving it anytime soon =)

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I'm just saying to spend the extra and give customers a decent known proven power supply is all. A PSU with the ability to upgrade if the customer wants.

9. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

For the record, Corsair doesn't build anything themselves. It's all farmed out to the cheapest vendor.

10. Blu_86

Blu_86

Yes I have known that for a long time. By the way. Seasonic is also doing that now. Certain units.

11. Blu_86

Blu_86

^ and the best Corsair units were the old TX and HX models, Made by Seasonic.

12. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I know and I'm still running a TX750 with no issues after 5 years. SeaSonic does not farm out any units with their name. No need to do so when you're the best.

13. Blu_86

Blu_86

5 years even for a great PSU it's time to replace it. Don't risk your hardware.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not true. AMD Man is correct. Even corsair says their cx line is for a basic build.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supply-units/cx-series

The corsair of today is NOT the corsair of a few years ago when even their lower wattage units were built by seasonic.

If you are building/selling gaming systems using the cx line of pw supplies, you really should convince your customers to spend the extra few $ for a seasonic or other quality unit. I personally use a cx pw supply in my home theater unit however that uses onboard video. No problems with the corsair cx however that system is not used for anything other than watching movies or recording my wife's soap opera. As long as you use a cx pw supply as it is intended to be used, they are ok. Use it in a manner for which it was not designed, and you have problems.

15. Blu_86

Blu_86

Here is the statement on the website;

CX Series PC power supplies are an excellent choice for basic system builds and desktop PC computer upgrades. CX Series PSUs are available in a variety of power configurations, and include features that are normally found only on premium power supplies.

I bolded the important parts for you. While it's not a great PSU it's fine for a performance system as long as you don't go overboard (Did I with my R9 290x?) and you pick the proper wattage for your config.

I will tell you the same thing I told AMD man. There is absolutely no way I am going to second guess myself. I sell just as many Seasonic power supplies as I do the others, and I usually do recommend them. Where you (and AMD man) made the mistake was in categorically stating that the Corsair CX was completely unfit to run any performance system.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice