1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is this really a posibillity with WPS?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PK-her0, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

a friend of mine bought a brand new dell xps desktop and hp 4050 wireless printer
    after setting everything up and looking at the printer i could see it connected only with WPS.
    there was no option for scanning for ssid etc.

his router was a bit old and didnt support wps...so he then upgraded his broadband router to a newer one that supports
    wps...so i tried to connect again!!!

WPS is defined in wiki: Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a standard for easy and secure establishment of a wireless home network. uuuuuuuuuum easy? could have fooled me...i tried for an hour and couldnt get it working.

i pressed the wps button on the printer and it searches for signal...and i press the button on the router...nothing happens.
    it just says no signal found...i tried it both ways...pressing the router wps button first then the printer wps button...got a wps error...

now on the printer you see wps key like...554565 or something...and on the router there is also see a key like 554221. but i cant change these keys on the printer nor the router...on my broadband router at home i can...will these keys change when the device is connected...do these keys have to match...anybody got a good article.

is it possible that they just wont talk to each other?

any insite please!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I have found no evidence that the HP 4050 has wireless functionality. Is there a different HP 4050 printer?

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

sorry terry my bad...its a 3050...sorry again...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I wanted to say this earlier, but resisted the temptation, but after searching for HP 3050 printer I'm gonna say it: tell your friend to trade that thing in for another model. :) So far I've always been able to disable WPS and not bother with it.

Looks like HP has a Deskjet 3050 and a LaserJet 3050, both all-in-ones.

For the Deskjet step # 11 in the Install Guide may help. If not, maybe the User Manual will have more info.

I think that the LaserJet does not have Wi-Fi capability.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965518