1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this replacement battery safe?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TOSCS, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOSCS

TOSCS Thread Starter

I know you read that getting the wrong (i.e. not 'official') replacement batteries carries a "risk of explosion" and the manufacturers will always tell you to get their own brad, but I can't help feel a little suspicious about that!

My Acer Aspire 5755G battery has died. It didn't really give me any warning at all, one day it was carrying a fairly decent amount of charge and suddenly it's haywire and if I remove the ac cable with the battery in, the laptop shuts off immediately.

I found this on ebay
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-5200mah-...560G-5755G-7551G-Laptop-AS10D56-/170844308320

The only difference is the capacity (original was 4400mAh), which is better, and the voltage (original was 10.8V) but it says it is compatible with that anyway.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Companies recommend their own hardware for two reasons: 1) they make money on parts sales and 2) people replace their batteries or chargers with generic replacements, which can cause devices to explode or catch on fire and mame or kill the owner or their loved ones...which in turn sue the manufacturer for faulty hardware (which most of the time the manufacturer then wins the court case, but it still costs them money to defend) all because someone wanted to save money.

Having said that, if they state it supports your model, then it's just a matter of whether you trust the seller.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice