1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this set hardware set up good for video editing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by teamLDC88, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teamLDC88

teamLDC88 Thread Starter

Currently under a very tight budget. I need to shoot some videos/commercials for small local businesses that aren't too complicated but enough to have as a video portfolio. Will be shooting some short documentaries as well. Using Adobe Premiere Pro and some Adobe After Effects.
    Will be purchasing a computer with these specs:

Intel i-7 2600k CPU
    Geforce EVGA GTX 670 2GB VRAM
    OCZ Agility 128GB SSD
    1TB HD
    8GB RAM

Will this be sufficient for an amateur video editor?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    People have been editing on PC's for years, so most anything will work. The difference will be in how quickly it functions.

The only real issue with what you have noted above is storage space. Video, especially HD video will quickly eat HDD space. Also, for best performance, you will want two storage drives. Work from one drive and then process and save to the 2nd drive. That removes the bottleneck trying to read and write to the same drive. You could get by with a single drive for now, just an FYI for the future.

3. teamLDC88

teamLDC88 Thread Starter

Gotcha thank you very much! So I do have a separate 1tb storage device, and will be more for further project storage. Will this set up function at a good pace if I work with this and store with the separate drive? Thank you again sir!

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Depends on the storage drive type. If you mean an external USB drive, the USB connection will be a huge bottleneck. It will work for moving/storing completed files, but not as an actual working drive.

5. teamLDC88

teamLDC88 Thread Starter

Cool, this helps a lot thanks! So what 2nd storage/working drive should I get to split the work and process/saving to add on with the above custom set up?

Yes I do have external USB drives for moving/storing completed files.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You could simply use another internal drive of the same size. Also watch the pricing, a 2TB is a much better buy.

For example:
    WD Black 1TB $72
    WD Black 2TB $87

7. teamLDC88

teamLDC88 Thread Starter

Just found a deal with these specs.
    Brand = ASUS
    Intel Core i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20GHz
    RAM - 12 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 4gb
    Internal memory 2TB
    Windows 8.1 (can be upgraded to Windows 10 for free)

This a better option?

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sorry, I've been out a few days.

For editing in general, you want the fastest cpu that fits your budget. Increased RAM, assuming a 64bit OS and editing software which can take advantage of the RAM, and storage as outlined above.

So yes, a faster cpu and more RAM would be beneficial.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice