Is this system good enough

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hangman75200

A-Open ax3s pro w/ i815/e chipset

Intel pIII 866/256/133/1.7v socket 370
(running at 140 FSB 1.75v 910mhz)

kingston 512 mb sdram (single stick)

dual hard drives:
Maxtor 60 gig / maxtor 20 gig

bios: Award software int. 6.00 pg

voodoo 3 3000 64mb w/ tv out

lite-on dvd sohd-167t

52x24x52 cd-rw

linksys nc100 fast ethernet adapter

250w power supply

15" lcd monitor

creative sub bass speeker system

My main question: Is this system worth $400.00

If it is does it need a water cooling system ????

hangman75200 said:
My main question: Is this system worth $400.00
I don't think so. A Pentium III running at 866 Mhz is far slower than the standard CPUs available in today's average systems. It also has a 140 Mhz frontside bus speed which is also very slow. I think that the graphics card, a Voodoo 3, is also out-of-date, and the monitor is only 15 inches. You would do better to spend slightly more cash to buy a new system that would blow away the one you are currently considering.

If it is does it need a water cooling system ????
I highly doubt it...it's not like this PC is so powerful and fast that it needs a special liquid cooling system :rolleyes:

that system is ok, you can do a lot of things with that hardware, now, for 400 dollars? that's NOT ok!

This 7 year old system is good enough for surfing the net and email, word processing, and games like solitaire, burning CDs and such, and believe or not it's worth $400 if the 15" LCD monitor works, if the monitor is a dud then it's worth $143.98, for parts.

that's not 7 years old! not even 5, I remember PIII 866 came out on the last quarter of 2000. Besides a year and a half ago my system was an Athlon 800 Mhz, 384 Ram, AGP Savage 32 Mb, 15 and 20 Gb hard disks and CD-RW/DVDROM and it worked fine for almost everything, you can do a lot with a system like that, plus I overlooked that includes a LCD monitor, I think it's not worth that money yet but with a good discount you are ok. But then again, I always recommend saving some more money and you can get a brand new system, which no matter how cheap or bad is, it is still a lot better than the Piii 866, so unless you are in a hurry for a computer and will not get any more money, you can consider it

BTW, my computer at work: PIII 866, 384 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD, Mobo intel, onboard video, sound and network, CDRW 52X, windows xp sp2 and it works great

I was checking some costs, for 310 dollars you can get a really low end motherboard+cpu 1.6 ghz, 256 of ram, 40 gb HD, cdrom, 15 inches acer monitor (CRT), case with psu, mouse, keyboard, speakers, the whole package, not that I recommend this kind of system but just so you know, for example this system would run a lot faster than the 866

hangman75200

Hey guys thanx for replies

the lcd monitor is only 2 months old and work great. (that system belongs to a friend)

can the socket 370 board be upgraded to better processor or is it to outdated?

really apreciate the input.

tech support guy is best forum on net.

Its worth is dependent on its use. It's adequate for email, basic internet access, games that don't require a lot of grunt power and basic office-type tasks. Avoid "bloatware" though, and I'm including Windows XP.

If it does the job that you require of it then use it. I've only recently retired a Win98 PC with a 667 MHz CPU after 4 years service only because I wanted to do some video editing. I'll keep it as a backup machine though.

Not $400.

My P4 2.6GHz, Asus P4S800 with 800MHz FSB, decent PSU, and a big stupid case with lighted fans ran me $350 in April of 2004. I know you can get a faster system than that now, possibly for less money.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online