1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this the black screen of death?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by laydy, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laydy

laydy Thread Starter

:confused: I was installing some updates for XP and I had to do it over three days because it took so long on dial-up but dsl has not reached my area yet. After it was downloaded/installed I was playing some music on the windows media player when all of a sudden the screen went black. I have played this same music for months so I don't think that it was the cause. I can try to boot-up, but all I hear is the fans going. The monitor show "no signal, going to sleep". I would like to know before I take it to the shop if this is that infamous black screen of death. Would it be worth it to get it repaired? Any info on the subject would be appreciated.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, windows update KB891771 has been causing problems,
    was that part of your update?
    You could post a Hijack this log to see what is running on your system that may be causing problems..
    www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe
    Let scan>save to notepad>click edit>select all>edit>copy>paste to your thread..

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Was that an XP update blues?

4. blues_harp28

You are again correct AcaCandy..What can I say......:confused:

5. ~Candy~

No problem. Sometimes updates can create havoc. I'm running XP, and I "thought" I was up to date, but didn't have that one listed :D

6. blues_harp28

The tablets are now kicking in so I should be OK.(y)

7. laydy

laydy Thread Starter

I cannot try any of the suggestions because when I say say the screen is black, it's black. It will not power up, it's just a black screen. Apparently the monitor is not picking up on anything because the message reads no input...... I'm on a laptop at the moment.

8. lister

lister

If you turn off the PC and restart, do you hear any beeps?

9. Dan O

Dan O

It happened to me many times in the past. I fixed the problem by resetting the laptop by unplugging the power cord and taking out the battery.

10. ~Candy~

If you don't feel comfortable opening it up and looking around inside, I would suggest taking it into a shop.

11. Dan O

Dan O

Taking the battery out is usually easy and it does not require opening the PC. Just turn over the laptop and look for a latch for the battery, which will release it.

12. ~Candy~

Dan, I think she is typing from a laptop. The probelm computer is a PC.

13. laydy

laydy Thread Starter

At the moment I am on a laptop--the problem is with he desktop. I do not hear any beeps. IF I should open it up and look around, just what am I looking for?

14. ~Candy~

Video card being loose, for one (if it's an add in card). Also, ram chip(s) being secure in their slots.

15. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks Candy and I agree with you that Laydy may be best off taking the PC into a shop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/356990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice