1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this the most EGREGIOUSLY RETARDED WinXP Wireless Networking Mess EVER?!?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chundarr, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chundarr

chundarr Thread Starter

This is actually an old problem, but I gained some new information last night and thought it would be better to start over from scratch.

Specs:

Averatec Notebook, WinXP fully updated, embedded wireless networking 802.11g.

Now, whenever I try to connect to an UNencrypted access point (in public, for example), here's what it CAN do:

1) It CAN ping the router.

2) It CAN somehow get IP addresses for websites (if I type in "ping www.cnn.com"
    then it translates the URL into an IP address and tries to ping it).

3) It CAN and DOES execute automatic windows updates, including downloading and
    installing.

What it CAN'T do:

1) Access any web page via a browser.

2) Ping any IP address farther away than the router (it finds the IP for cnn, but can't get
    there).

3) Open the "General" tab of the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" window
    (accessed through Control Panel/Network Connections). Any attempt to access this
    tab results in the window locking up and pegging the CPU; recovery requires a
    process kill or total restart.

It exhibits this behavior regardless of which network I'm trying to access. Home, hospital, coffee shop, whatever: if it is unencrypted, it's basically a no-go.

I ran the new windows networking debugger, which advised me to change the firewall settings for certain ports. I couldn't find a way to do that, so I just disabled the firewall entirely... which did not solve the problem anyway.

The punchline, of course, is that if I implement WPA encryption on the router, almost all of this goes away and it works fine. #3 (CPU peg and crash when trying to access network properties) still applies, but since everything else works, I don't much care about the network props anyway.

So as long as I use my teeny-tiny portable computer at home, where I use WPA, it works fine. Take it on the road and I'm hosed.

Any ideas?

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

2) It CAN somehow get IP addresses for websites (if I type in "ping www.cnn.com"
    then it translates the URL into an IP address and tries to ping it).

Please post (copy and paste) your ping attempt

*clear your browser cache (tools > internet options > temporary internet files > delete)
    *try the - ipconfig /flushdns (through command prompt)
    *make sure your wireless settings are not set to "ad-hoc"
    *Your windows firewall default settings should make no difference
    *make sure your not running two firewalls.
    *make sure your wireless settings do not require wpa instead of wep when accessing public wireless.
    *run a full system scan with "Ad-Aware" its free and it rocks. (dowloads.com)
    *make sure you dont have any special windows wireless configuration settings active.. like only being to receive and brodcast on a specific channel. The default channel should be channel 6.
    *try uninstalling and reinstalling tcp/ip and or also your wireless drivers as well.
    *call your isp.. they may be able to help.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Adding to tjamnz ...

Make sure you have the latest wireless adapter driver from your laptop's manufacturer, uninstall the adapter, reinstall making sure you end up with that latest driver. If it were me, I'd do this first before hitting the other things in the list.

4. tjamnz

tjamnz

I agree.. Good point!

5. t-roy

t-roy

I've got a Averatec 3250 and I had the same problem. Go to Averatec's site and download the updated drivers for your wireless. It will connect independantly along with the windows connection(2 connections),windows will fade in and out, the ralink will stay connected.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice