1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is this transfer slow for a usb2 buffalo drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PK-her0, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

just copied +- 40GB of data on my windows server 2008 r2 with 8 gb of ram to a usb 2 buffalo drive
    it took 40 min+- with an average transfer of 19,8MB/second

is this slow? i have disabled cache writing on the buffalo to help speed things up but to me it still seems slow
    another site said it should copy this in about 18min

what else could possibly be wrong...should i get faster speeds?
    any info appreciated

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Possibly. But it also depends upon the data type. For example, a few large files will transfer much faster than 1000's of small files.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

its a mix of big and lots of small...what else can i do???

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Well first place to start is to benchmark the physical transfer speed of the drive connected to the server and on another computer that is known to have fast USB transfer speeds and see how the speeds compare. I'm referring to a benchmark such as HD Tune or ATTO Disk Benchmark, you can find both using Google and both are free or have a free trial.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065738