Is this Windows 7 (offered on eBay) Legitimate?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I'm assembling a new computer from parts and I want Windows 7 on it. I found this offer on eBay. From the ad, it sounds like it is legitimate; but, I just want to be sure. I know I am protected by eBay and PayPal and if it is not legitimate, I can get my money back; but, I just want a second opinion before ordering.

TerryNet

Terry
$50 for Windows 7 Ultimate, and you're asking if it is legitimate? :rolleyes: If I remember correctly it was over $300 when readily available! What's that saying ... something like "If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't."

If you are building a new computer for sale you can still buy Windows 7 OEM System Builder's versions from legitimate retailers (e.g., NewEgg last time I checked).

Alex Ethridge

The computer is for my own use.

Yes, I know about the $300; but, Windows 7 isn't new any more and there are six other offerings on e-Bay, all under $100.

I guess what I really want to know is this: Based on the wording in the ad, will I have grounds for a refund if it isn't what it appears to be? In other words, is there trick wording that would be a "gotcha"?

valis

pretty sure we won't be able to answer that, as ebay set up those rules. Whatever they have in their TOS, I'd reckon.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Windows 7 Ultimate Full Install X32 Or X64 Bit Genuine Already Activated
Besides selling for only $50.00 and not looking like any genuine Windows 7 disc that I've seen, the last part of its description throws up a red flag with me. :eek:

---------------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

Terry
and there are six other offerings on e-Bay, all under $100.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it is not impossible to buy a legitimate genuine Windows on eBay, just very unlikely. It really doesn't matter how many shady (at best) deals you can find, they are still shady. There is still a high demand for Windows 7; if Microsoft allowed it to be sold (other than the System Builder's versions) it would still command the original prices.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you are building a new computer for sale you can still buy Windows 7 OEM System Builder's versions from legitimate retailers (e.g., NewEgg last time I checked).
I just checked the Newegg site.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit is selling for $100.00.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit is selling for $140.00.

Both are the OEM System Builder version.

------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Ethridge

This is not a smart-a$$, I-showed-you reply so please do not interpret it that way. My intent here is to inform and only that, in hope it might help someone else.

Kick me in the rear for wanting to save money; but, knowing I was protected by e-bay and PayPal, I decided to take a small risk and ordered this copy of Windows 8 Pro offered on e-bay. I just got off a chat line with Microsoft. They told me what to look for and according to them, this copy of Windows 8 Pro seems is legit after checking several characteristics of the packaging, the disks, themselves, and the COA.

So, it looks like I dodged a bullet and saved a few bucks and there are some copies of Windows being sold on e-bay at low prices and that are legit.

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks, Alex. :)

Indeed, this is the type of situation where you should be able to find a good and legit deal. A version of Windows (8) that has not been pulled off the market by Microsoft, but which is difficult to sell at full price because people would rather buy 8.1 and save the upgrade hassles.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Alex:

Let us know if the Windows 8 Pro install process and activation process go okay.

By the way, your computer may qualify for a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 when it's released later this year. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online