1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is this Windows 7 (offered on eBay) Legitimate?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm assembling a new computer from parts and I want Windows 7 on it. I found this offer on eBay. From the ad, it sounds like it is legitimate; but, I just want to be sure. I know I am protected by eBay and PayPal and if it is not legitimate, I can get my money back; but, I just want a second opinion before ordering.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    $50 for Windows 7 Ultimate, and you're asking if it is legitimate? :rolleyes: If I remember correctly it was over $300 when readily available! What's that saying ... something like "If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't."

If you are building a new computer for sale you can still buy Windows 7 OEM System Builder's versions from legitimate retailers (e.g., NewEgg last time I checked).

3. Alex Ethridge

The computer is for my own use.

Yes, I know about the $300; but, Windows 7 isn't new any more and there are six other offerings on e-Bay, all under $100.

I guess what I really want to know is this: Based on the wording in the ad, will I have grounds for a refund if it isn't what it appears to be? In other words, is there trick wording that would be a "gotcha"?

4. valis

valis Moderator

pretty sure we won't be able to answer that, as ebay set up those rules. Whatever they have in their TOS, I'd reckon.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Besides selling for only $50.00 and not looking like any genuine Windows 7 disc that I've seen, the last part of its description throws up a red flag with me. :eek:

---------------------------------------------------------

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it is not impossible to buy a legitimate genuine Windows on eBay, just very unlikely. It really doesn't matter how many shady (at best) deals you can find, they are still shady. There is still a high demand for Windows 7; if Microsoft allowed it to be sold (other than the System Builder's versions) it would still command the original prices.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I just checked the Newegg site.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit is selling for $100.00.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit is selling for $140.00.

Both are the OEM System Builder version.

------------------------------------------------------------

8. Alex Ethridge

This is not a smart-a$$, I-showed-you reply so please do not interpret it that way. My intent here is to inform and only that, in hope it might help someone else.

Kick me in the rear for wanting to save money; but, knowing I was protected by e-bay and PayPal, I decided to take a small risk and ordered this copy of Windows 8 Pro offered on e-bay. I just got off a chat line with Microsoft. They told me what to look for and according to them, this copy of Windows 8 Pro seems is legit after checking several characteristics of the packaging, the disks, themselves, and the COA.

So, it looks like I dodged a bullet and saved a few bucks and there are some copies of Windows being sold on e-bay at low prices and that are legit.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks, Alex. :)

Indeed, this is the type of situation where you should be able to find a good and legit deal. A version of Windows (8) that has not been pulled off the market by Microsoft, but which is difficult to sell at full price because people would rather buy 8.1 and save the upgrade hassles.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Alex:

Let us know if the Windows 8 Pro install process and activation process go okay.

By the way, your computer may qualify for a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 when it's released later this year. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice