1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is this worth the upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etaf, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have a chance to get an HP machine (factory specification only ) - only this one -
    t685UK

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530
    3.0GHz 800MHz Level 2 cache 1024KB
    1GB DDR memory
    ATA 7200 200GB HDD
    DVD 16x double density
    ATI RADEON™ X600 PRO 256MB video memory

i currently have an AMD 1700+ with 512MB memory and 3 HDD 280GB worth
    matrox G550 video

I use this machine for general use - do not play games - but use photoshop for manipulating photographs - keen photographer

i'm not sure i will notice any great difference
    is this worth the upgrade at all -
    for £50 i can get a dvd writer added to my current PC

would like your views

2. Arky

Arky

From your description of your use made of your current machine, it is unlikely that you would be able to distinguish between the performance of the two machines you describe.

Your decision will be most likely determined emotionally, in part, and financially for the rest. LOL

3. etaf

First Name:
    Wayne
    yea emotional taking over - hence brain engaged here to convince heart :) :) - thanks

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I would think that if you are using the machine for photo/video manipulation (Photoshop) that you would indeed notice a difference between the two of them. 1 GB vs 512 MB for memory and 3.0GHz vs 1.4GHz for the CPU speed. I'm not familiar with the video card setup, but I would surely think twice the memory and twice the CPU speed would be something you would notice.

5. n2gun

n2gun

If you are just using it for photo manipulation, I doubt very much if you would notive any difference. If you are working with videos, yes you would see a substantial difference.

6. etaf

First Name:
    Wayne
    just stills - 30MB files - which may go to 100MB when have loads and loads of layers

rarely

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have two machines with AMD 2400+ processors and identical hard disks. The only real difference is one has 512mb, the other 1gig memory. Video processing on either one is basically identical in performance. The principal reason for the added memory on the one was to run Catia, there you will notice a difference. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice