is this worth the upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

etaf

Wayne
i have a chance to get an HP machine (factory specification only ) - only this one -
t685UK

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530
3.0GHz 800MHz Level 2 cache 1024KB
1GB DDR memory
ATA 7200 200GB HDD
DVD 16x double density
ATI RADEON™ X600 PRO 256MB video memory

i currently have an AMD 1700+ with 512MB memory and 3 HDD 280GB worth
matrox G550 video

I use this machine for general use - do not play games - but use photoshop for manipulating photographs - keen photographer

i'm not sure i will notice any great difference
is this worth the upgrade at all -
for £50 i can get a dvd writer added to my current PC

would like your views

From your description of your use made of your current machine, it is unlikely that you would be able to distinguish between the performance of the two machines you describe.

Your decision will be most likely determined emotionally, in part, and financially for the rest. LOL

etaf

Wayne
yea emotional taking over - hence brain engaged here to convince heart :) :) - thanks

alwrmc

B.L.
I would think that if you are using the machine for photo/video manipulation (Photoshop) that you would indeed notice a difference between the two of them. 1 GB vs 512 MB for memory and 3.0GHz vs 1.4GHz for the CPU speed. I'm not familiar with the video card setup, but I would surely think twice the memory and twice the CPU speed would be something you would notice.

If you are just using it for photo manipulation, I doubt very much if you would notive any difference. If you are working with videos, yes you would see a substantial difference.

etaf

Wayne
just stills - 30MB files - which may go to 100MB when have loads and loads of layers

rarely

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have two machines with AMD 2400+ processors and identical hard disks. The only real difference is one has 512mb, the other 1gig memory. Video processing on either one is basically identical in performance. The principal reason for the added memory on the one was to run Catia, there you will notice a difference. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online