Is upgrading worth it on a month-old PC?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wdm2291

I have a friend who just bought a new XP Home laptop, actually, just before Christmas and has the coupon to upgrade. .

any opinions on whether it would be worth the trouble?

Thanks for any input you can give,

Wdm

It isn't a lot of trouble at all. Depending on the applications he has installed, he may be able to upgrade without having to do a fresh install of Vista. I would recommend redeeming the coupon - even if you choose not to upgrade. But Vista offers a lot of benefits, I say go for it.

If he needs to do a clean install, I suggest he partitions his hard drive for a couple of months, running XP and Vista on the same machine. That way, he will be able to jump back to XP if he has compatability problems with applications, and he will be able to pull important files accross to vista as he needs them.

What are the specs of the laptop?

oliver.d said:
It isn't a lot of trouble at all. Depending on the applications he has installed, he may be able to upgrade without having to do a fresh install of Vista. I would recommend redeeming the coupon - even if you choose not to upgrade. But Vista offers a lot of benefits, I say go for it.

If he needs to do a clean install, I suggest he partitions his hard drive for a couple of months, running XP and Vista on the same machine. That way, he will be able to jump back to XP if he has compatability problems with applications, and he will be able to pull important files accross to vista as he needs them.

What are the specs of the laptop?
At the very least I'd say redeem the coupon while he can. If he never upgrades he won't lose much, but if he does he won't have to shell out the serious cash ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts