Is USB 2 unneeded for ghosting? What kind of HDD for ghosting?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stiltzkin

I want to do a periodical ghost of my 40 gig C: drive. Will USB 1 suffice? I know that processes like this are limited by the slowest device, so does the HDD limit me, or the type of USB? What kind of ballpark are we talkling about for ghosting 40 gigs through USB 1? USB 2?

USB is not part of the IDE controller so it has it's own set speed. To ghost to an external USB device you will need Ghost 2003.

For USB 1.1 the Interface transfer rate is 12MBits/sec.
For USB 1.1 the Data transfer rate is 0,9MB/sec.

For USB 2.0 the Interface transfer rate is 480MBits/sec.
For USB 2.0 the Data transfer rate is 15,9MB/sec.

You could just go out and buy an USB 2 card and add it if the speed factor is that important. Why do you need to transfer an entire 40GB of data anyway?

Stiltzkin

I am ghosting for backup. I wanted to know about how long a ghost of that size across USB 2.0 would take, hours? minutes? days? Also, what is interface transfer rate?

The interface speed is what it would work at with just two interfaces connected directly. Data transfer rate is slower because there is a comminication that takes place requesting data, transferring data, etc and is much slower. It's simple math to figure out how long it would take to transfer 40GB of data.

At USB1.1 speed it would take 11 hours
At USB2 speeds it would take 41 minutes

It is my understanding that USB works only when full-blown Windows is running. Now, let's say you lose your hard disk contents and Windows will not run. How would one restore the data from the Ghost copy to the original drive?

With that in mind, I'm not sure Ghosting to USB is a good idea.

I use DriveImage (like Ghost, just another brand), break the backup into 670 Meg pieces, put them on CDs and store them. I can then restore them to any hard disk using the DriveImage boot disks--even in a total-loss situation.

Any comments?

Ghost 2003 has the ability to create a boot disk for USB devices.

i have purchased an external enclosure for 2.5" hdd's and it connects to the computer via usb 2.0. I want to be able to store a ghost image on that HDD and ghost it to the computer that it is connected to.

So in therory I could ghost a computer with usb 2.0 in about a minute or so...

First of all, is this possible? I tried using Ghost 7.5 to create a boot disk that will support USB, but it does not assign a drive letter to the usb hard drive. I went to the ghost disk boot wizard on Ghost 2k3 and it doesnt seem to have one for USB support.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Ian

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've used GHOST on USB 1.1 devices, you get around 1mb/min transfer speeds, so just do the math to see how long a GHOST backup would take. I prefer USB 2.0 devices for transferring gigabytes of data for obvious reasons! :D

ifassnacht, I use the GHOST that comes with NSW Pro 2003, and it handles USB drives with no problems, so I'm not sure what you're using there, it should handle USB just fine. The "standard" boot disk from the wizard is the one that includes the USB drivers.

should it be peer 2 peer or external storage?

im assuming external storage, but you can only have usb 1.1 or 2.0? it doesnt support both?

that sucks

im makin a boot disk right now with external storage support and usb 1.1, because i dont have usb 2.0 on this computer...we shall see...

be back in a few
thanks
ian

ok, when i booted up it found my hd, but it didnt assign a drive letter? why not? any ideas?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can support either USB 1.1 or 2.0 with GHOST 2003, at least it works for me...

But when i boot to the ghost boot disk it recognizes the usb hard drive and says that installation was successfull, but it doesnt assign it a drive letter...any ideas how to fix that?

when i made the boot disk i selected the check box that said assign drive letter to usb devices..but it tells me that it is unable to assign a drive letter, but doesnt tell me why...i dont get it...

HELP...PLEASE HELP

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It must be some issue with your USB controllers, mine boots up and finds the USB drive...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online