1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is VISTA Terrible?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SammyShine, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SammyShine

SammyShine Thread Starter

Should I avoid it if possible?

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

no it is a nice os with some nice features

3. BansheeHand

BansheeHand

No. In fact Vista is one of the best, the fastest-selling and the most secure operating systems ever.

All of Microsoft OS have been bashed at the time of their release, even this now-beloved Windows XP.

On Vista, the controversy is even bigger because:

1. More users are using computers today so more users are bashing.
    2. Vista includes User Account Control (UAC) which alerts user about suspicious activity which requires system level access.
    The purpose of User Account Control is twofold:

1. To teach users that User Accounts are not a mean to restrict the users: They are means to restrict software, including malware (virus, worm, ...), low quality software and buggy software.
    2. To tell the software developers how idiot they are. For years, software producers neglected Microsoft security system, but instead, media bashed Microsoft for the terrible state of security. Now, you know that every software that does triggers UAC alerts but doesn't seem to need high-level system access is a low-quality software.

4. Deke40

Deke40

I jumped all the way from W98SE to Vista Home Premium(pre-installed on my laptop) and I love it.

I do get the occassional freeze but the old three finger action takes care of it.

5. SG2

SG2

I have only ever had one issue with vista , and that was bluetooth drivers, but that is now sorted and with my 4GB DDRII (only 3GB is used though due to 32Bit) it FLIES!!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you don't mind (or know the difference) seeing Thumbnails in place of Icons ..
    And don't want to customize your right click context menus ..
    and a couple other nice XP features ... Vista might be OK.

7. BansheeHand

BansheeHand

By the way, Vista comes with DirectX 10, so if you are into gaming, it's better for you. And Vista reduces laptop power consumption dramatically. In some cases there were 50% saving!

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Although XP is still my favorite operating system, I've been using Vista in one of my desktops for over a year and have had no conflicts with the software and the hardware that I use.

I'm not fond of the aero glass mode and the change in the Start menu, so I've got it set up in classic mode to look more like XP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

9. BansheeHand

BansheeHand

Oh, it's worth mentioning that Aero Glass is one of the most favorite feature of Windows Vista amongst users. You see, it's the first feature that is ported to XP via various transformation packs around!

10. psam3

psam3

I can't even go back to XP after using Vista since it came out. It's like buying a brand new car and then having to drive your 1989 Chevy Cavalier.

11. ewirman

ewirman

I hated it when it first came out but the SP1 made it ALL better. Now I can't live without it (almost). Really it has so many features one can feel like they went down a rabbit hole.
    I really enjoy the the new visuals too.

12. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Nice to read such positive feedback. I have been enthralled with Vista since the release of the RC's and have never looked back.
    I agree with Psam . I have XP forced on me through my grandchildren's use..I could never go back to XP (But I am getting excited about Windows 7.!!)

13. BansheeHand

BansheeHand

I don't want to remotely insult anyone but all this "Vista is terrible" is a big media exaggeration. You know how media likes to make the pop of an egg look like a nuclear explosion. If it is otherwise, then why nobody criticizes Windows Server 2008 (Vista's big brother) which also has UAC.

Also we have this proof-of-concept Mojave Experiment:
    http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

14. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I like Vista. It is stable ( crashes very few and far between) and does what it should. Most whinges these days are with undrpowered systems, or people who just dont know what they are doing. As far as UAC goes, I personally like it. All we get are complaints about "aaww, it keeps popping up, so annoying!" . 3 years ago, we got complaints that XP wasnt secure enough, why cant they tell you when things are happening behind my back? Its a good feature that people have decided to condemn, after asking for it.
    On the whole, Vista is fine. It has problems, but then an OS without problems is like a salary without a job. Lovely thought but it aint gona hapen :)

15. computershell

computershell

I have a dual boot system Vista & XP pro and I'm choosing Vista 9 times out of ten now. A year ago it was the other way around.
    Mind you I have done some serious upgrading and now use Vista 64bit
    with the economic e 45mn series cpu and 4 GB of DDR3 memory and it starts nearly as fast as Windows 3.11 a 16 bit operating system reliant on DOS running first this machine had 4 MB of memory if "my memory" serves me well

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice