1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Vista x64 is better?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nuaeman, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nuaeman

nuaeman Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I've pretty much got my system completed and now I'm wondering, having installed Vista x32, If i would gain performance from using XP x64 or Vista x64.

What do you think- what are the advantages of Vista? Would my system run faster on XP?
    And if I switch to XP can I keep all of my files and programs?

Thanks

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

It depends on what you are running on it. 64 bit does not necessarily make any difference to speed at all except maybe some v.high end applications such as Video editing or Adobe PhotoShop etc.

To improve speed, try turning off some unused services and remember to uninstall apps you are not using. Memory can improve speed - how much have you got installed? Dual core processors also work well with Windows Vista.

3. gurutech

gurutech

Converting from x86 (32-bit) to x64 (64-bit) requires a complete reinstall.

At least it did for me. I went from XP 32-bit to Vista 64-bit.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is correct. You cannot go from 32bit to 64bit without a clean install. I use and like vista 64bit however do make sure ALL of your hardware is supported. 64bit drivers have to be signed in order for vista to allow the install of the driver.

Next vista 64bit runs just about any 32bit app however if you have any old 16 bit apps, they will not work.

All in all if you have done your homework and checked that all hardware is supported with 64 bit drivers, then I would install vista 64. If you do have some hw that does not have 64 bit drivers, then install vista 32bit. You really do not give up that much in performance anyway.

FWIW vista enterprise 64bit just seems faster than vista enterprise 32bit.

5. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, I have just installed Vista 32 bit on my 64bitXP. I found that XP64bit was a pain in regard to drivers etc and not many programs seem to use the 64 bit system anyway. If you just have a computer for the fun of computering then go right ahead. I started in 1978 and mainly enjoyed afixing all the problems. I still do not like Vista but I am enjoying learning a new OS. I nearly did not install it as at nearly 78 I thought it may not be worth the bother. love Mal

6. CasperCat

CasperCat

Heres why I jumped to x64, when xp was out and then xp64 came out I got it and found it to be more stable for my video work and things on 32bit. HOWEVER there was hardly any software support for atleast the 64bit usage, there wasnt even anything for security cept a couple business things. I felt "dumped" when vista came out as xp 64 was like were not going to support it. To be honest to this day Im not even sure why its out. Theres really no support for it.

So i jumped the gun and got vista h ome premium. I used the 32bit for a while but of course Ive got all this hardware that can handle more then 32bit (only about 55% of my ram was available etc). However software and drivers was the issue going to 64bit. Finally more stuff I use started going to real 64bit and I jumped the gun and went to "windows anytime update" and spent the almost $11 bucks (using my current 32bit code) and had them send me a 64bit disk. 2 and half weeks later (yes it took forever) it came in the mail.

Theres some issues 64bit on installs which I knew all about before I installed it and was all ready. So heres my answer to you ..

1. 64bit have to have fresh installs
    2. If you have more then 2gigs of ram you need the patch or sp1 or remove 2gigs or it will blue screen on the install. (Since my bios wont let me turn off ram I had to remove two sticks) after it installed I installed the windows patch and then put my sticks back in. Then did somethings then with already have downloaded sp1 on to a disk and installed it from there.
    3. Then after the install of sp1 i ran windows update.
    4. I have a second drive and things and already had the latest drivers and things as well for my hardware downloaded and ran setup on them. (windows update didnt have the most current and some other tools)

over all my experience has been great with x64. Theres still some issues here and there but im not a gamer and It runs very well for me plus im able to make use of my hardware which can be a big help like on ram and things. I wouldnt go back to 32bit however theres nothing wrong with 32bit it just matters what hardware you run.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice