Is W7 really going ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Johnny b

John
I hadn't had my first coffee of the morning :D

(that's the only excuse I can think of lol )

Terryl:

I don't know which of my threads you've been reading about Windows 7, but you might want to read this particular thread:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/attention-windows-7-sp1-users-please-read.1238699/

If you plan to do an upgrade install from Windows 7 to Windows 10, uninstalling MSE before you start the upgrade install is advisable.
However, do NOT replace it with a third-party antivirus app before you start the upgrade install.
Besides a third-party antivirus app possibly causing the upgrade process to fail, Windows 10 does better with its own built-in antivirus app.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I had read about uninstalling 3d party Antivirus before upgrading to Win 10 but I guess I was lucky. I upgraded both my socket 775 machines that had Avast antivirus on them and had no issues, kept all my programs and data. I think what helped mine is I had recent video cards and Programs that came out after windows 10 came out so 10 was able to find drivers and update everything. I will probably get rid of Avast soon and go to the defender. As far as IE browser , I have gone to Edge at work because some sites have changed and wont even work with IE anymore.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I try to avoid doing an "upgrade" install from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because too many things can go wrong and cause the upgrade to fail.
I prefer a "clean" install and fresh start anyway.

Even though I have the most current version (11.0.175) of Internet Explorer, I've also noticed a few sites announcing they no longer support it.
Because of that, I use Mozilla Firefox as a secondary browser.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I try to avoid doing an "upgrade" install from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because too many things can go wrong and cause the upgrade to fail.
I prefer a "clean" install and fresh start anyway.

Even though I have the most current version (11.0.175) of Internet Explorer, I've also noticed a few sites announcing they no longer support it.
Because of that, I use Mozilla Firefox as a secondary browser.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I did an upgrade to Windows 10 on 5 of my systems with no issues and all five are running great. Now that I'm on Windows 10 I find myself missing Windows 7 . So out of my hardware hoards I built a system for Windows 7. Now I have the best of both worlds. I used Firefox for a long time but I run Slimjet now. Built from Chrome open source.

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
When Windows 10 was released in July 2015, I kept Windows 7 installed in all of my full-time computers.
But I installed Windows 10 in one of my test computers so I could become proficient with it.
When I replaced my refurbished minitowers with newer faster ones, I purchased them with Windows 10.
After 4-1/2 years and more than 100 installs of Windows 10, I can completely set up and configure a computer from scratch within a few hours.
But I still prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10, so I still run it in a test computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online