1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Win98 SE an upgrade only?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by eq1987, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

Is Windows 98 Second Edition an upgrade only?

2. p8jx6

p8jx6

WIN 98 SE can be purchased as an upgrade(from any CD Rom Capable version of older windows), or you can or could buy the full version, and that version will not upgrade i don't think, you might want to try ebay for a copy of windows, or a distributer that has really old versions of windows, because WIN 98 SE is not sold in walmart any more i don't think, maybe some of the really big computer stores(CompUSA, Circuit City,Best Buy, and maybe Staples)

3. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

If I had to buy an OS, i'd buy XP Home. I currently have a Windows 98 SE copy, but I seem to have install errors, and I'm not sure if it's because SE is an upgrade only or not. It doesn't say anywhere on it, but I had read something on Microsoft's site about it being Upgrade only.

I'm guessing that's what you were talking about. Two different versions.

Do you have any idea why the following files are missing when it tries to copy them?

dhcpcsvc.dll
    icmp.dll
    ienpstub.dll
    inetmib1.dll
    ipcfgdll.dll
    iphlpapi.dll
    msafd.dll
    MSLOCUSR.dll
    Qosname.dll
    Rapilib.dll

And many, many more?

4. p8jx6

p8jx6

those files that you listed are definatly core parts, mostly for network stuff, and TCP/IP, Quality Of Service service, it might have been the original medium that you got the copy from, but it could also very well be your copy if it is an older cdr that has been sitting, it could have started to deteiriate

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 98SE can be purchased in both an "upgrade" CD and a "full" CD. The upgrade CD is used when upgrading from Windows 95. The full CD is used when installing it into a hard drive with no operating system already in it(such as after installing a new hard drive, or after formatting a current hard drive). It's unlikely that you'll find Windows 98SE in computer or electronics stores anymore.

I wouldn't even consider upgrading to Windows XP unless your computer has at least a 700 - 800 MHz processor speed, at least 256 MB of RAM installed, and whose hardware and BIOS is compatible to Windows XP(which means it shouldn't be more than a few years old).

6. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

I read through the manual, and it said "If you are upgrading from...", or "if you are doing a new install..."? Is there a version that does both?

7. fly440

fly440

Hi eq1987
    I run win 98se from a full install disc not an upgrade ,I also had these type of .dll file problems ,I just loaded windows again over the top and it sorted it self out .The quickest way to reinstall is go to start/run then type in setup/pj then insert your win 98se disc stop it auto running and go to browse in the run box and go to the cd drive and click it ,it should from there reinstall windows over your current version .

Dave

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have the full W98SE retail package, you can upgrade from an earlier Windows version or install to a bare system.

9. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

I installed Windows 98 SE, then went to Start > Run, typed in a few variables of setup/pj, and I couldn't get it to run. Will this do the same thing as if I did the auto-run, and clicked Install?

10. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

People always say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I took a picture of my error and uploaded it. It simply doesn't make sense. "Please insert the CD", "Sorry, but the file couldn't be found on the CD"!

Attached Files:

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If placing the Windows CD in its drive and then clicking "OK" doesn't work, I'm surprised.

When the insert prompt appears, browse to or type in C:\WIN98 or C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS, then click OK. See if that works.

I notice that you're installing a Linksys LNE100TX network card. Are you using the version 5.12 driver, which is the most updated one? You can get it here.

In the Run command, have you tried X:\WIN98\SETUP.EXE? Replace the X with your CDROM drive letter.

12. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

The linksys driver I'm using is from the CD? I bought it in like april 2004.

I typed in the prompt the two things you showed, and nothing happened. I tried "C:\WINDOWS\" and the "Copy files.. Percent done" moved to 6%. It also showed the a box that says it couldn't find it in the specified path, and the text box that allowed me to type in the path disappeared.

I clicked Ok twice, and the normal box came back. It's still on the "choosusr.dll".

Should I skip all the files, go to Run > Setup > D:\WIN98\SETUP.EXE ?

Also, when I do reinstall, should I overwrite the WINDOWS directory?

13. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

I got it! I found on Google that those files are located in Cabinet folders. I opened Net7 through Net10.cab, and copied them into System32. Configured my internet and it worked!

So, if anyone comes upon those problems, I'd advise searching their CD-ROM for "cab", open Net7.cab through Net10.cab, copy all the files into C:\WINDOWS\System32

Thank you all for your help.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you want a list of all the Windows 98SE CAB files, keep this site saved. Give it time to load if you're on a 56K dial-up connection.

15. garyk_52

garyk_52

I think the reason you couldn't get the files to load from the cd is because the path was wrong ie D:\autorun\Windows next time get rid of the "autorun\Windows" and just try D:\ if that is your cdrom drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice