Is windows 7 that good or is it just hype when it comes to being more secure than xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zergpc208

I keep hearing people say this over and over and on the news that windows 7 is more secure than windows XP ..Other than the UAC thing how is windows 7 more secure than windows XP. Why did windows XP not have the UAC thing.

Is it the IE sandboxing thing that people are talking about in windows 7 that is so good to stop malware.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Why did windows XP not have the UAC thing.
My opinion ...

Because until XP Microsoft was too busy introducing huge security holes (such as integrating a browser into the OS) to even think about closing them. And then I guess it was a huge effort to add security measures to a poor and bloated design.

With UAC, the firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials Vista and Windows 7 are decently secure now.

First Name
SUE
Ive never had security problems with any operating system yet. Windows 7 is ok but its not xp and never will be as its built on a much different platform.I suppose its more secure than xp as its much newer and i think whatever problems xp had security wise have been fixed in windows 7.

Windows 7 is much more secure than Windows XP (probably the most unsecure OS of all time)

zergpc208

My opinion ...

Because until XP Microsoft was too busy introducing huge security holes (such as integrating a browser into the OS) to even think about closing them. And then I guess it was a huge effort to add security measures to a poor and bloated design.

With UAC, the firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials Vista and Windows 7 are decently secure now.
What security holes in XP or windows 95/98/Me?

I thought windows 2000 and XP is base on NT .And alot of problems NT had windows 2000 and XP fixed it.

Snagglegaster

Banned
Win7 is certainly a lot more secure than XP, especially if you are running a 64 bit version of 7, and running under a limited user account. It's less susceptible to an initial infection, but the OS also has features to limit the damage from an infection if one does occur. Don't get too complacent, though, because writing malware has become a highly profitable industry so any OS these days is constantly under siege.

zergpc208

We all know Internet Explorer can not be separated from the windows system. They also made that claim it can but we know that IE is part of the OS.It will take alot of programming do separated IE from the OS.

Well when it comes to Unix,Linux ,windows or OS X you need Java , Java script , script and Flash so how can any OS be secure when you need Java , Java script , script and Flash for web sites to work

To turn off IE in Windows 7, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on and off > and uncheck IE9.

As for things like "Java, Java script and Flash", you need to keep an eye out for the latest patches of these products. They are announced in security news sites like ThreatPost (http://threatpost.com/en_us). Java is maintained by Oracle, and you get patches from them. Javascript is part of the browser. Sometimes javascript is used to exploit security holes in the browser, and for that scenario, the browser needs updating. Flash is maintained by Adobe, so you get updates from them. Although there's a lot of fear of 0 day exploits, studies has shown that most exploits are made for security holes that have patches. That is, the exploit writer reverse engineers a security patch to make a working exploit. So, just by having installed "Java , Javascript, and Flash" doesn't mean the system is unsecurable. You just need to patch religiously. I visit security news sites at least once a week, and have MS patch Tuesdays marked as recurring appointments in my appointment calendar. As of recently, 0 day cutting edge exploits seems to be reserved for targeted hacks against specfic companies which yield high payoff. So you should consider yourself lucky and important if you get hit by one.

The IE sandboxing feature is called Protected Mode by MS. It disables the modification of portions of the system marked as medium integrity. And if you use the tool 'chml', you can addtiionally specify that low integrity apps like IE can't execute or read any medium integrity app and data. Unfortunately, Protected Mode is only available on Vista and Win7. However, you can add a 3rd party sandboxing tool like Sandboxie, it will make a folder and force IE to work only within that folder, instead of the whole hard drive, which theorectically stops just about all attacks that works through the browser.

You asked about security holes in XP, following is a list of patches that MS issued for security holes since XP SP3.

Security Holes in XP found in 2010: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-security-updates-2010.html
Security Holes in XP found in 2009: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-security-updates-2009.html
Security Holes in XP found in 2008; http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-security-updates-2008.html

zergpc208

But even if Java , Java script , script and Flash have the latest updates that is not good enough?

Some people say one should be filtering javascript ? And get addon such as NoScript.:eek::eek:But than how would web sites work than?

If you have patched everything, then it is safe enough. Cause then, only 0 day exploits will affect you, and as I said, they are not common.

The NoScript addon disables Javascript, but the addon also allows you to mark any site you choose as 'safe'. So if you frequently visit a certain site that uses Javascript, you can allow Javascript to run on that site,

zergpc208

If you have patched everything, then it is safe enough. Cause then, only 0 day exploits will affect you, and as I said, they are not common.

The NoScript addon disables Javascript, but the addon also allows you to mark any site you choose as 'safe'. So if you frequently visit a certain site that uses Javascript, you can allow Javascript to run on that site,
So what you saying I do not need NoScript addon ? Why do some people get the NoScript addon ?

How will the NoScript addon help me?

Or is having the NoScript addon too secure ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online