Is Windows Live Mail Outdated/Discontinued?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The Keeper

Gary
I just stumbled across an article on the Internet stating the Windows Live Mail would be discontinued after 2012. I bought a new HP Laptop in 2019 and noticed an envelope icon in the system tray. When I click on the envelope, Windows Live Mail opens so I created an email account. I use that email rarely but it does receive and send mail.

The article stated that Microsoft was encouraging customers to convert to Outlook. If Windows Live Mail has been discontinued, why is it part of the Windows 10 operating system on my year old computer and why is it a working program? I'm confused.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16271 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (842 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 84C1
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
It may be Windows Mail

You can confirm my typing Mail in the search bar. If you have a microsoft account with an @microsoft.com email then it may just be that it got set up by itself when you created your user account for Windows.

The Keeper

Gary
I typed "mail" in the search bar and the Windows Live Mail icon was the first to show

Couriant

James
OK that is the new Windows 10 Mail app :) Windows Live Mail is the white envelope and was really a bad successor to Outlook Express.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Yes Windows Live Mail has been discontinued for some time however it does work & is still much better than the inbuilt mail app which imo is very basic.

The Keeper

Gary
Yes Windows Live Mail has been discontinued for some time however it does work & is still much better than the inbuilt mail app which imo is very basic.
Thank you very much for giving me an update and sharing your thoughts. It is all clear now

The old windows live mail from 2012 still works on my friends windows 7 machine, he likes pop3 mail on his machine. As soon as I can I am going to try to upgrade him to windows 10. He is 85 and may have a learning curve. I have been out of pocket this year with two knee replacements.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
It still works well on Windows 10 20H2.
I could give a good list of why I prefer it over Windows Mail.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online