1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Windows Vista SP1 Neccesary?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by VistaMachine, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VistaMachine

VistaMachine Thread Starter

My computer has had no problem ever downloading updates except for one. The Windows Vista Service Pack 1. It has been failing ever since I bought my computer. I am just wondering if this update is a out of date update since it says that it was released I think in 2008 (before I bought my computer). I bought it refurbished from Dell and I would have thought that they would have installed all the updates for it before they shipped it out to me.

Everytime I try and download the update even from their site it gives me the error code: 0x80070643

I just want to know if this update is a necessary update, my computer runs fine but it is weird that it can't download the update.

Merry Christmas :)

2. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

4. VistaMachine

Ok thanks for the links I will try those and see if they help next time I am on my laptop.

5. VistaMachine

Finally after playing email tag with Microsoft I was able to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1. If I am right there is a Service Pack 2 right?

Thanks for the links

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Yes
    I would put on service pack 2 as well.....it wont be as large as 1...since one is basically included in two
    Then get all updates after 2 as well

The link for sp2 is in post 3

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your "computer specifications" shows Windows Vista(original) and says no antivirus program is installed. I suspect that computer's maintenance has been neglected and that it possibly has a malware/spyware/virus infestation and other problems that have been causing you grief.

It would be interesting to see a HiJackThis scan log and a HijackThis uninstall list.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. VistaMachine

Where do I get those?

@aka Brett I will try and download SP2, right now windows in installing 49 updates. I wish I would have cared more or should I say known more about computer maintenance before, I probably wouldn't be having these problems.:rolleyes:

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Sp2 will be offered after you install a series of updates after sp1....its always nice to have a disk to make it easier for in the future though

10. VistaMachine

When you say disc do you mean the OS disc? Or what kind of disc do you mean? Because I never received a OS disc from Dell when I purchased my laptop.

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I mean putting the service pack on a disk...that way in the future after a fresh install you can put on service packs with ease

12. VistaMachine

Sorry for my lack of computer knowledge but how exactly would I go about doing that?:eek: What kind of disc would I need and how would I transfer the updates to the disc. When you say fresh install do you mean like wiping the hard drive and re-installing the OS?

Oh forgot to say big thanks for all the help, I now successfully have SP1, SP2, the 49 updates betwwen the two, and a new update post SP2. You guys rock!!! Thanks for all your help dealing with my issue.

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Yes just hit that link and find the proper download for you version.
    If it is an ISO then you will need to burn that image to disk..if its an exe you can just copy...a cd will hold it so there is no need to use a dvd.

Now in the future if you wipe your drive etc to start from scratch you will have the service pack handy,after the fresh install of windows you will have the service pack on hand..just put it in the tray and install...this will bring your machine up to a much more current level making the remaining updates much less time consuming and less chance of an error
    People seem to run into less problems when installing them via a disk verses windows updates

14. VistaMachine

Ok cool thanks for that, I can now officially say my system is all up to date and everything is running so smooth. I have all the service packs installed and everything. Once again you don't know how much I want to thank you for the help, I will try doing the burn to disc idea, that would save me some future headaches I think.

15. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You are welcome
    Vista isnt bad IMO...it has had a little history of update problems before thgough

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice