1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is XP cancelling my internet connection?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by helpseeker, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

After struggling for years with Win98, I just got a second-hand Dell computer with WinXP Pro. I’m experiencing a really annoying problem that I believe is caused by – or at least related to – XP.

Say I boot up in the morning and go online (I use Firefox, with a broadband connection). Everything is fine. I then leave the computer for a while – it could be an hour or two; or it could be many hours. When I come back, I can no longer connect, unless I re-boot. It doesn’t matter whether I’ve closed Firefox, or just leave it open. I don’t think the problem is with the cable modem or router, because I am able to connect with the other computer.

When I leave the computer, I put my cable modem into standby. Sometimes, but not always, when I come back to the computer and wake the monitor, there’s a gray box telling me they have “detected I was not connected to the internet.” Who has detected? Is there some hidden program trying to go online?

I’ve tried various power settings, from Standby in 15 minutes, to Never. Same problem.

Any ideas or suggestions that will help me resolve this will be greatly appreciated.

2. Carey934

Carey934

Putting your cable modem into standby is not necessary if you have a router. If you are turning off your router, then your assigned IP address is lost. This is how its supposed to work.

If you unplug the LAN cable from your PC, you'll get the same message.

(or turn off power from any device the LAN cable is plugged into).

3. helpseeker

I don't (can't) turn off the router. It' always on. I had the same modem, same router, same usage with the Win98 computer, which never had this problem.

It's not the gray notification box that troubles me, it's having to re-boot in order to connect.

The reason I put the modem into standby is to prevent hacker access.

4. Carey934

Carey934

Can you tell what this grey box says EXACTLY?

5. helpseeker

I'll post it as soon as I get it again.

This will probably be a while since I just re-booted, and it usually doesn't happen for a few hours.

6. helpseeker

OK, last night -- while I was able to connect --I closed my Firefox browser and Thunderbird email; set the modem to Standby; and left the computer on, as I always do. Sure enough, this morning I got the gray box.

The blue band heading at the top is Connection Error. The message says... We have detected that you are not currently connected to the internet. If you click the dial button below, we will attempt to connect to the internet using your default internet connection.

Then there's a box to check (or not check): Disconnect When Done

Then 2 choices to click: DIAL or EXIT

As I usually do, I closed the box by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.

I then tried to connect but couldn't. So I re-booted.

As I said elsewhere, I'm 99.9% sure the problem is not with the modem or router because I don't have this problem with my other computer (connected to the same router), which is able to connect when this one can't.

It seems to me that something inside my computer is trying to connect but can't, and then sends the gray box message. I don't have Windows Automatic Updates selected. I'm going to see if my antivirus or firewall programs (both are EZ from Computer Associates) try to connect; and I've sent an email to Linksys to see if they know of anything that might be causing their network card to turn off.

I think the key to this is finding out what's sending the gray box message, but I have no clue as to how to do that.

7. Keenan

Keenan

Hi there.. I have a similar issue and I see in another site that this might be caused by a VPN. Do you have a VPN configured that might be causing this? My VPN is for work. I initially thought it was malware of sorts, so I did not and probably still will not click it. It is odd that this started just now, even thought I had this VPN for some time.

8. SupportChic

SupportChic

Just a thought, but doesn't placing the modem in standby mode effectively disrupt the connection? Have you tried just releasing and renewing the IP address instead of rebooting?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!