1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IS XP pro only NTFS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by catlady13, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

I am installing an OS for a friend with his XP pro cd but it would only give me the option to format with NTFS and not fat 32. Can you only format XP pro with NTFS? It it not fat 32 compatible?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    No, you can run FAT32 with XP. Boot to a W98 boot diskette, fdisk and then format the drive. Then remove the diskette, boot to the XP CD and install to the FAT32 partition.

3. keebs

keebs

well acualty you can do that but.. would u like to slip the partitions??? the guessing the hard drive is 80 gig or higher because same thing happened to me so i suggest you just put ntfs quesitons email me at [email protected]

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What your running into is the Windows XP install CD format tool won't allow you to format a drive larger than 32GB using FAT32 but XP will support a FAT32 drive that's larger than 32GB. I have no idea why Microsoft did that other than to encourage people to use NTFS. So you can do like Keebs suggested and use NTFS. Or if you do want to format the entire drive in FAT32 or partition it in multiple partitions of FAT32, you need to boot to a W98 boot diskette and do like I mentioned above. Personally I've found NTFS drives to be slower than FAT32 drives running Windows XP so unless you have security issues, I'd suggest FAT32.

5. prospect

prospect

Bryan, I didn't know we could do that with XP. I have a 20 GB HD.
    Do ya think I would like to do this? And what about the security issues? If it would speed up XP why not. I just don't want to spend all weekend here fighting trying to do this. LOL:D

Prospect:cool:

6. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

Thank you EVER so much ....... actually I think the problem stemmed from the fact that this hard drive had been formatted in NTFS .. and a partial install of XP home had been done.. I reformatted with an XP pro cd .. but did not fdisk first .. as last time I had done that it gave me problems and I had been told NOT to fdisk with XP but to let the cd partition and format .. and then had had better luck in the past .. will try it sometime though just for fun after fdisking .. BUT .. this disk shows up as 32 gigs because even though it is 40 because of the difference in math .. between actual sizes and how they are reported . So is it restricted to ACTUAL 40 gigs? or the 40 gig hard drives we buy which are usually only about 32 gigs anyway ?

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Prospect, I'm not sure what your looking to do. Do you want to start from scratch and format and reinstall XP to a FAT32 drive? Is your PC running fine with NTFS?

Catlady, I located the MS article that explains the problem the XP CD has with 32 GB and larger drives and FAT32. Note the Fifth bullet in the top section of the article. As far as all of the other kb restrictions mentioned in the article, forget about them. The only limitation that's relavent is your limited to a file size of 4gb with FAT32 but I've yet to find anyone that has a file that's larger than 4gb in size unless they are into editing video movies or things of that nature. I always use FAT32 with XP installs unless like I mentioned earlier, the user has security issues and has a need for the more secure NTFS file system.

Anyway, I can't tell from your response if your still stuck or if you've already formatted and installed using NTFS on the PC.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463

8. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HI thank you .. I've already installed the NTFS.. and if my friend wants FAT 32 for sure , for sure, I will reformat . I use NTFS myself because I DO some video editing, just amateur stuff and just so I could learn to do it for fun, but because of that I have had files of 6 and 7 gigs. Thank you EVER so much for your time , trouble and information. If I have to reformat in FAT and have problems will repost . Thank you ..

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have Partition Magic, you can swap back to FAT32 without reformatting.

10. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

Oh I do have that .. thank you .. somewhere in all my cds .. had no idea it would do that .. have never actually used it

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Partition Magic gets a lot of use at my place. :D

12. prospect

prospect

Yeah, I want to start from scratch and do a fat 32. espically if XP runs a little fastter. I only got 500 MHz, 256 in ram.
    I just wanted to know if it was a smart thing to do. Or just leave it alone. My pc is running real good now. Did I just answer my own question? LOL

13. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If it's running well, then I'd suggest leaving well enough alone .....

14. prospect

prospect

Thanks Bryan. I just though there mite be some advantages to a fat 32 over NTSF.

15. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It's been my experience that Windows XP runs noticeably faster when your running FAT32 versus NTFS. I learned that the hard way. About a year ago I installed XP on a couple of friends PCs over the course of about a month. They were three identical Compacs with the exact same specs. I used FAT32 on two of then and NTFS one. The NTFS PC ran noticeable slower so I was puzzled as to the cause. I thought it might be my imagination so I formated the NTFS PC over again to FAT32 and believe it or not, the PC performed noticeably better.

Then a few months later at work I had the occasion to do installs of XP to two identical PC we purchased. I tried NTFS on one and FAT32 on the other with the same result. The FAT32 PC performed obviously better than the one with NTFS.

Anyway, when you get to the point that your considering a reinstall of XP, I'd suggest trying FAT32 and see if you notice a difference.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice